Water heater question

Since almost the begining of time my parents have used a small gas water heater for the kitchen sink for hand dish washing , now this has gone faulty they want a replacement and have been told the small gas heaters aren't made due to H&S. I've checked about and there doesn't seem to be any available so I'm considering installing an electric one, or getting someone else to do it when they de-install the current gas one. The only electrical power used in the kitchen is a fridge and separate freezer, 2 flourescent lights, and a washing machine (no dryer) so maybe installing a 3KW is risky hence the 1.2KW
I think a santon aquarius over sink vented 7 litre maybe the 1.2KW rather than the 3 KW. http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Zip_Tudor_5_Litre_2kW_Oversink_Vented_Water_Heater.html or perhaps a 2KW zip such as this http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/ZIP_TUDOR_5L_OVERSINK_WATER_HEATER
What suprises me is that they appear to need hard wiring in rather than being on a plug like a kettle or toaster. Is this just because you shuldn't have a switch/plug within ~1 Metre of water or is there some other reason ?
So any advice, ideas, suggestions etc.. thanks

Doesn't the house have hot water already?
It's in a kitchen so will need to be installed by an electrician to satisfy prat p.
It will drip whilst it is heating the water.
Philip

There's a maiun point gas heater upstairs in the bathroon that's only used for baths. And it would need plumbing in to down stairs kitchen, possible but a bit of a pain to route the pipes, they haven;t any central heating.

That's good in a way as that gets me out of doing it. BTW was Prat p a type-o for Part P ;-

On 1 Nov,

The one who instigated prat P AKA 2jags. --
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Thumbs wrote:

I thought it was some LibDem MP whose daughter employed an idiot plumber (*not* an electrician!) who put a nail through a cable buried in a cable protection zone (ie, a "don't put nails here" zone).
JGH
On Oct 31, 4:54pm, whisky-dave wrote:

Do they have space for one of these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SORCH25.html
Owain

I doubt it, a bit expensive too.

Well I don't know about the legalities of this, but there do seem to be small ones made for caravans (probably static) that run on LPG. (see http://www.morcoproducts.co.uk/stock-5-2/Water_Heaters/D61E.html ) It's hard be sure from the site but the heater manual show rating for running on natural gas so it would seem that there is a natural gas version of the heater.
Flue & ventilation requirements might be a problem. I'm sure better qualified folk than me will comment before long.
Lastly, no chance of repairing the old one?
Tim

Yes, I visited them last night and yes they had it repaired for about 45, but the repair said a new part will be 81 if it goes again.
The most annoying thing that while he was repairing it someone 'shopped' him for parting illegal outside their house as it restricted parting and he got a ~100 ticket, which my parents offered to paid as was doing them a' quick favour.
So it's sorted now, unitl the next time, so hopefully I've a couple of years to decide the best option(s) :-)
Thanks to those replying

I wouldnt just assume that's true or realistic. I'd find out whats wrong with it, often repair people want near 100 for trivial fixes.

Well he seems a good bloke, they've been using him for years. His charges have always seemed reasonable.

Main still manufacture multipoint water heaters. I replaced one about 10 years ago. It was nice that the new ones had a variety of fixing mountings, which were designed to allow the heater to be hung on the flues of many older models, so i didn't have to fit a new flue. (I don't know if they still have that facility.)
What make/model is their old one?
--
Andrew Gabriel