Washing machine of cold supply only?

Do todays machines need a hot supply or will they run on cold only?

Mark S.

Reply to
mark

Most will run on a cold supply only, although you may still need to connect the 'hot' pipe to the cold supply, this is done with a Y-connector available from any d-i-y store.

Jonathan Pearson

Yes they will, Mark.

Some actually have cold fill only whereas others have hot and cold. On the latter, you can use a Y connector and feed cold into both inlets.

Most modern fabrics are washed at no more than 40-50 degrees and the detergents match that. Even the traditional higher temperatures used with cottons and linens are normally not necessary with suitable detergents and can actually screw up some of their components anyway,.

On the higher temperature washes, so little hot is normally taken in for most cycles that there is little advantage and you might as well let the electric element inside do the work.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed, in some houses (ours, anyway) the amount drawn from the hot supply is just enough to empty the feed pipe from the cylinder; so you get a washing machine containing cold water (that has to be heated) and a pipe that is full of hot water (which thewn cools and goes to waste). Maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for that folks.

Now who's stupid arse idea was silver appliances? ;-) Damn premium price coz it's not white...

Mark S.

Reply to
mark

Yep, that is what actually happens in mine so I make sure that I turn on the machine only after I have used some hot water for washing.

John.

Reply to
JhnWil876