Washing machine drums?

Hi, I've got a Hotpoint Aquarius WM22 washing machine and I believe that the inner drum has become partially detached from the shaft at the rear of the inner drum. I don't know how the drum is attached to the shaft, but that seems to be the problem.

What I would like to know is if I dismantle the whole thing and remove the large nut at the rear that holds the shaft in place, can I then extract the inner drum so I can see the problem?

If anyone has knowledge as to how the drum is attached to the shaft I would be grateful. Is there a mounting bracket with screws where one may have rusted and popped off? Or is there a casting that may have broken and prove difficult to fix?

I know that the bearing can be a pig to remove, but that looks fine. In fact everything about the outer drum looks fine. However the inner drum is definitely off centre, wobbles when spinning (even with no load) and I can physically wobble it askew with my hand.

Thanks :)

Reply to
Tom

It's usually attached with a cast three-legged 'spider' that is integral with the shaft. Each arm of the spider is several inches long, and bolts to the back of the inner drum.

Yes.

Both; could be either. The spider could have cracked, the bolts could have come undone.

How do you know? You certainly can't see it without removing the drum.

Could well be the bearing. Get the inner drum out...

Reply to
Bob Eager

What's the attachment that's sent with your posting Bob ?

Reply to
BigWallop

I had the spider casting crack on all 3 arms ... you can replace if you want to drill out the rivets and fit stainless screws instead.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Sounds like you'll fix it ok, but after unplugging, discharge the filter capacitors so you dont get bitten. Its normally the can the mains wire goes into.

You'll need to remove covers, open up the drum, undo the rear nut holding the bearing in, and remove the drum with its support spider. A broken spider is not repairable, and will set you back 20 notes at least. Then theres the cost of a tool to get the bearing nut undone - if youve got a day you can save yourself getting a new machine. As long as you make a note of where each bit goes :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If it all goes pear shaped you will end up with a beautiful and inexpensive stainless steel lampshade/coffee table base; a powerful electric motor and a decent bearing/pulley set up. (Use a mole grips on the inside of the pulley arms (spider?) for fear of damaging the spokes.) (And subtract any unserviceable parts from the above list.)

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Or the world's largest cheese grater!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Well I removed the drum today and yes, the spider was cracked on two of its arms. In fact it was completely eaten through!

I ordered a replacement from CPC for £11.

When I said the bearing looked fine, I was simply going on its appearance from the rear. :)

Reply to
Tom

If you sharpened it right, and left the motor on, you'd have the worlds fastest cheese grater.

Reply to
Ian Stirling