Washing m/c and cold fill ... A++

I should say so. Great if you really need/want/can afford the convenience and I guess in the winter, when you have heating on, heat isn't "wasted" from the pipes as it goes to heat the house. In summer though I would imagine it must add considerably to your HW costs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , Rick Hughes writes

The ratings are for energy efficiency, not cost.

Reply to
bert

If you lag the pipe loop well, and use a timer to control pump times, it ought not make much difference.

Reply to
John Rumm

With two caveats - one the machine will need the occasional hot wash to not fill up with detergent residue slime.

Also tests have shown that low temperature washes are not as effective at killing bacteria - so take care with what you wash with and after bacteria heavy items.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hmm, given that it's only likely to be present in large houses with long pipe runs, I can't help thinking that it's going to be hard to match the insulating properties of a modern tank. Still, nice if you don't mind the running costs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Decent pipe insulation can be done (but its a good deal thicker than your normal thin grey overcoat!)

I think if I were doing it, I would trigger the pump with a short overrun timer from PIRs in each of the bathrooms. So you only run it when there is likely to be a demand.

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed. I very occasionally put some towels through on the shortest hot wash using washing soda.

"Hot" washes are not necessarily any better. You would need close to 70C for half an hour and I'll bet most people have been using a lot colder washes than that for the last decade.

It's like the small print for steam cleaners. large Print: Superheated steam (>100C) will kill 99% of bacteria, Small Print: When in contact for more than 2 minutes.

The advertisers would like you to believe that you need to add an expensive anti-bacterial agent to your wash now that detergents are advertised for 15C.

What's not killed in the cold wash in the machine probably will be killed with a good drying on a washing line.

Reply to
alan

On Wednesday 06 November 2013 21:32 alan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I stick towells/overn gloves/bathmats through on a "boil" wash which keeps the machine's innards from getting stinky.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And remember, Rick's house is a self build, so it would have been easier to install with plenty of think pipe insulation than retrofitting, and also to plan the boiler, tank location etc. with it in mind

Reply to
chris French

I use washing soda (in addition to detergent) for shower curtains & bath mats --- it's pretty good at removing mildew.

There was an article in _Which?_ in the past few months about 60° washes. Most washing machines don't actually reach 60°; only one holds it there for long; but some experts think that modern detergents & washing machines can remove bedbugs & germs effectively (down the drain) without killing them.

Absolutely. I keep our toothbrushes in the bathroom window for the same reason (sunlight can sanitize things).

Reply to
Adam Funk

I have to run almost 1 L of water out of the kitchen tap to get the hot stuff, so based on the pipe runs, I'd expect the first 1.5 L of "hot water" into the washing machine to be cold. But I was surprised to see in the manual that the washing programmes use 52 to 65 litres of water; I don't know how, however, how that's split between the wash & the rinses.

That's what I've heard.

Reply to
Adam Funk

15C? That's *COLD* water. Where on earth does the energy come from to remove the dirt?

jgh

Reply to
jgh

I'm pretty sure most washing machines have a motor in them...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have a Champion washer/dryer. The drying cycle gets very hot!

Reply to
Matty F

Why? A combi boiler will produce cheap hot water when the machine demands it.

Doesn't affect me as I use cold wash.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Gas kWh = 6p Electricity kWh = 14p. Heating water with electricity = stupid.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I used to have an H/C one but it only used the hot it you turned the dial above 40C for some reason.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Doesn't happen here.

Bacteria is on dishes, not clothes.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:25:35 -0000, Matty F wro= te:

I melted the sole of a running shoe doing that once.

-- =

Why do blondes have more fun? They are easier to keep amused.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Funny, if I turn on the hot tap in my sink, I feel warm water in a few seconds, and the tank is in the next room.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger