Washers

Can anyone tell me when fibre washers should be used. I have a number I have acquired in general packs of washers; but have never used any. Advantage, Disadvantages? Regards Colin

Reply to
Colin

I've seen them specified on small screws holding electronic items together where the screw goes through a plastic component. Early Philips tape recorders come to mind. I use them where I want a good liquid tight seal round a bolt head or similar without excessive tension on the bolt head. Don't use them on the nut side of the metal. Low pressure banjo fittings on pipes, too, where they're specified rather than copper washers.

If I were trying to seal a bolt through a fuel tank skin or something of the sort, then I'd use one on the bolt head in addition to any sealant I used in the hole.

They're no use for spreading loads or for high load fixings, as they're mechanically very weak.

Reply to
John Williamson

In plumbing applications they have the advantage of swelling up when wet to seal the joint. Replace runner with rubber, fibre with fibre.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

put simply, when electrical insulation or a seal is required.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its always a toss up whether to use rubber or fibre. Fibre is stiff, making it harder to get a good seal sometimes. On the other hand once you get a seal it can take higher pressure and last longer. If you cant get a good seal with fibre, just change over to rubber.

NT

Reply to
Tabby