Want advice on painting railings

I have some iron railings in the back garden. They are painted black, with golden coloured decorations at the top of each rail.
I presume they have been in the garden since the house was built.
They are looking a little tired, and there is a little rust at the bottom of some of the rails.
So, I would like to spend a little time (as little as possible actually!) painting them so they look nice again. So am looking for advice.
If I go to a "shed" will I be able to pick up railing paint? Other than a quick sand down (with sandpaper?) what other preparation might be needed? Will they need undercoating/priming first?
So, simply looking for some advice so I can nip out and get what's needed.
Noz
On 27/03/2008 11:44, Nozza wrote:

I noticed this the other day ... http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/usage/ug_metalmaster.html
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:18:10 +0000, Andy Burns

Thanks for this Andy I might take a look at this.
Bad form to reply to my own post - but I have just uploaded a picture of the railings to a blog
<http://my.opera.com/nozza_wales4/blog/
for those interested enough to have a look!
The picture shows the worst of the rust.
Noz

They do not look, if you'll pardon me saying so, like the finest product of the metal crafter's art so I would say black Hammerite would be entirely appropriate.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Nozza wrote:

Wire brush and hammerite.
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:44:03 +0000

Wire cup brush in a drill is a fast and effective at removing flakes and rust. Wear goggles!