Metal railings

Can anyone recommend somebody to supply some bespoke metal railings? I'm looking for something like the railings in this photo:

Needs to be a company who can supply the Cambridge area and won't cost an arm and a leg.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

They will cost an arm and a leg unless you are prepared to go the whole hog and buy the bits and DIY weld it up from scratch. There is a fair amount of work in making up that pattern. Local blacksmith was helpful when the milk float demolished my wrought iron gates. But not cheap...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Umm. there are a few local ish blacksmiths...there used to be one at Risby barns - off the A14 east of Newmarket.

But that design is something any metal fab place could probably make - looks very Art Deco-ish. Like it - but whatever way you go will NOT be cheap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Jon Connell writes

It will be very expensive to have something similar made from scratch, so start collecting arms and legs.

Have you considered contacting any of the building reclamation companies? It maybe possible to find something similar that just needs tidying up and maybe a small, inexpensive, bit of re-sizing done.

You would feel a lot better in yourself as your "green" act of re-using old materials would be saving the planet. :-)

Reply to
Bill

If it's going to be part of something that needs signing off by a BCO, do check with them first. They may not be happy with a design which has horizontal components below the handrail, which can be used by young children to climb up. One way around that is having a sheet of glass incorporated on the landing side. Also need to take into account the design mustn't allow a 100mm sphere to be pushed through any gaps (that one looks like it probably conforms).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

good point. Those ralings would almost certainbly NOT pass bulding standards.

IIRC they mustn't have any gaps wide enough for a 2 year old to put his bonse through.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would be quite tedious to comply with. Does the fact that it's going to be outside on top of a metre high patio make any difference one way or the other?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

a METRE high patio..???

Umm. Thats one for detailed studies of the regulations themselves.

That I don't have time to do right now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, 900mm to be precise.

Reply to
Jon Connell

In article , Jon Connell scribeth thus

Give these guys a call. I think their called Echo Fabrications. They have done some work for us in welded Ally and it was superb and very reasonably priced too. They used to work at Mackays fabrications in Cherry hinton when that closed and then they starting up themselves which they've been doing for some time now.

There're out at Hill Farm near Fulbourn.

01223 881527
Reply to
tony sayer

To pursue the DIY approach for a moment. Assuming it's steel, apart from the nicely curved hand-rail, and possibly a matching paint finish, it looks like the sort of thing that a competent DIY welder could make. Suitable MIG welding gear might cost £500. As it's a safety-critical application, a fair amount of time would have to be spent practicing first.

Reply to
MrWeld

If you are creating a new 1m high patio that might count as a raised platform needing planning permission. Raised decking over 30cm high typically does...

The Building regs Approved Document K covers protection from falling. I believe you only need railings if the fall is more than 600mm. See page

  1. If over 600mm I think you want Section 3 which refers to heights and strength specs for railings needed.

As for sourcing custom railings...

Do Mackays still have a small works department around the back?

Mackays have hits for some railings and railing parts on their web site but these are probably place holders. My guess is they act as agents for companies that sell railing systems. Pop in and ask if they have any catalogues?

Reply to
CWatters

As luck would have it, a friend is a DIY welder. I also hadn't realised how cheap the materials are, so after I've heard back from quotes I may yet go down that route.

Reply to
Jon Connell

If you're doing that then paying the metal supplier to sandblast & prime= =

them for you saves hours of painting.

Reply to
Duncan Wood