Wall mounted eye-level grills

My wife & I are thinking about redoing the kitchen. At the moment, we have a free-standing gas cooker with eye-level grill, and my wife really likes this arrangement. She really hates cooking with electricity. It seems that the fashion these days is for built-in ovens and hobs, and since we plan to sell the house in the next few years, we think that's what we should go for. In the meantime, we'd still like an eye-level grill, so started looking for wall-mounted units of that type. The only ones we've been able to find are commercial and they are large and very expensive - especially the gas ones.
Is there any chance of finding a "domestic" wall-mounted gas grill, or are we just wasting our time searching?
Clive Backham wrote:

salamanders (for that is what they are called) aren't /that/ expensive from about 150 - 200 but are a bit challenging to look at in a domestic kitchen. they are excellent for cooking with, imo, fast and fuss free.
ya gets what ya pays for.
     snipped-for-privacy@delback.co.uk (Clive Backham) writes:

My parents had exactly the same issue some 35 years ago. My dad detached the eye-level fold-away grill from the top of their Cannon gas cooker, and fixed it to the wall, where it remained in frequent use until 5 years ago (when kitchen was refitted again). It caused a bit of confusion when it came to be converted to Natural Gas, and the fitter found he had a conversion kit for a whole cooker rather than just the grill, but once he'd worked out to ignore most of the conversion kit, it was converted OK. For the last 5 years, it's been installed and working fine in a kitchen on the continent. Damn good those Cannon fold-away eye level grills. When they first appeared on cookers, they did do a wall mounting version too, but probably not for over 40 years now.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 02 Jan 2006 16:20:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

And a damned sight better for making toast as well .
Stuart
Shift THELEVER to reply.
I know this is qute an old thread but there might be someone out there listening. I had an old Cannon Foldaway Grill and they were great but they are all pretty old now. If someone needs to replace an extinct Cannon there is now an electric version of the Cannon made by Hi-Grill. It is just like a professional salamander grill but it folds away and looks pretty neat. Just type hi-grill into google.
url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/13912486.aspx
Take a look at a product called Hi-Grill www.hi-grill.co.uk. It is wall mounted and folds away. Cost around £300-400.
url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/13912486.aspx

Or look at www.nisbets.co.uk for electric grill and get a professional one for about £200.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)

This thread is now even older than the last time you replied to it.
Oh dear! I do hope you are not the "Gibson" in "Curtiss and Gibson Limited"
If you are, feck off and spam your products somewhere else.
MBQ