Wall fixings behind a flue - how?

I'm still puzzling over my flue fixing problem.

Nearly all of the ready made flue brackets I can find assume that you are mounting them before the flue is installed. I need a "retrofit" bracket! :-)

Alternatively I need a way to get a sound (as in wall plug type) fixing in the wall in line with the flue. There's about 17cm clearance from the flue to one wall and about 15cm clearance to the other wall. That's nowhere near enough space to get a drill between the flue and the wall.

I don't want anything too ugly as this is in our living room, but I would like something reasonably robust to give the pipe some support.

I was originally thinking about a support to the ceiling (my first posting about this) but I don't think the ceiling is particularly robust where the flue goes through. There's a (presumably) fireproof panel that the installers have mounted on the ceiling but it's just stuck onto the plasterboard as far as I can see and there are no joists nearby.

The best idea I can come up with at the moment is a block of wood screwed to the wall right in the corner (which would be fairly easy to drill holes for) and a bracket moounted on that to support the flue but the bracket is then a rather one-off special.

Does anyone have any bright ideas to help me on my way in this?

Reply to
Chris Green

What about not using the single screw rod at the back of the bracket and instead make two fixing points using the holes that join the two halves of the bracket together. You will some long threaded rod.

alan_m

I can't quite visualise the situation, but could you make a thin truncated pyramid that you fix to the wall on either side of the pipe (and plug the holes in the pyramid) and attach the pipe to the pyramid ...

Reply to
nothanks

Hmm, does it *need* extra support? If so, why weren’t brackets fitted during installation?

You say you want your brackets in the line of the flue behind it. Curious as to why (or is it just for appearance)?

Would this kind of thing provide the necessary mechanical support (if not the desired aesthetics)?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A right-angle drill - or even an adapter such as

should enable you to drill holes behind the flue.

Reply to
Roger Mills