wagobox report

First impressions:

The modules are neat and work well - when you have plenty of space and the outer sheath stripped off a long way, the wires are easy to fit into the modules even when joining, say, 4 TWEs.

The push-in connections inspire confidence since you can see the wires and grips through the clear plastic moulding. However its hard to push in a 1mm CPC with green/yellow sleeving, since the sleeving slides and you cannot tell if the wire is going in or not by touch. Pliers would help. The module has a slot where you can push in a probe in for testing.

The cage modules (push-down levers) do not inspire as much confidence since you cannot see the wires to check they are in far enough / not gripping insulation etc. When using them with single wires, you can give a little tug and check they have gripped. You cannot do this so easily when 4 cables are being connected up and it's all in a bundle. The module has a slot that looks like it would take a probe for testing - but it does not - the slot is all plastic !

The junction box is interesting. Fitting several cables into the wago junction box is not that easy or quick. The wires all have to be about the same length so the connection modules line up and can push down into the slot at the end of the box. All cables coming out of one end is not ideal, or the fact that the mounting buttons only fit on one side, so if you are mounting to the side of a joist, only one direction is possible (unless you mount it upside-down, where the mounting button could slide off). Also you cannot really bent the wires like you can in a round screw junction box to take account of differing lengths, since the box is long and thin.

Strain relief is a plastic tag which digs slightly into the outer sheath. It tightens when you close the box lid. It seems a little tight with 1.5mm cable even using the middle position that is supposed to support up to 4mm cable. It cuts into the outer sheath a bit but not excessively on 1.5mm cable in the loosest position. Not sure about the bigger cables. Not sure about the strain relief method.

When you push the cables into the junction box and close the lid, you cannot really be sure a wire did not pop out. But a tug test suggests they should be fairly secure if they are in correctly in the first place.

I wired up 2 boxes.

  1. One connecting 4 x 1.5mm TWE using 3 of the 4-way push in modules. Not too fiddly.
  2. Other doing a loop-in lamp / switch circuit with an additional 3 core and earth taking away a live, neutral and switched live (to connect to a fan run-on timer). 4 cables connected, using 2 of the 4- way modules, a lever 3 way module and a 5-way lever module for the earths (there is no 4-way lever module

Conclusion. Modules are neat, junction box can be awkward and does not really save time as the adverts say, but is very compact. And of course, "maintenance free". With a traditional junction box where you can see the wires and connection mechanism with the lid off, you can be more sure of what you have done - you do not just have to trust the system. You cannot run uncut wires though and just strip insulation to allow a connection, as you can with a round screwed junction box. You could of course use the modules in a larger open box. The wago junction box is not right for all occasions.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That was my impression too - good ideas - but they need to do a range, including a bigger box with double end cable entry and a good bit of space in the middle.

But I do like the cable grips in their own right.

I'm still on a quest for a box that is ideal for passthrough cabling - guess I'll just have to use a regular equipment box and shove some pratley T+E glands in (I have a pile). Although not strictly necessary if the T+E cables are clipped close, I feel more inspired by some sort of cable clamping in the box, particularly if it is full of loose cable connectors.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was wiring 3x4mm T&E cables in a wago junction box last weekend and it was almost impossible to get te damn thing to close.

When I managed to saw through a (live) 2.5mm T&E cable later in the day, I used two of these guys to make a temporary repair:

I found it much easier and quicker to use.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Found these Wago competitors mentioned on electricians forums:

mike

I should say here that the first lot I used were a freebie from Adam Wadsworth and seem to be Helacon not Wago.

I've found that as well & use pliers.

My main interest is lighting wiring.

For that you need a 2 cable to 1 flex (for the neutral), a 1 cable to 1 flex (for the switch live) which Wago supply via my local TLC.

You also need a 3 terminal for the lives, which Wago don't supply - their 3 terminal is huge & takes 2.5 to 6mm only - no good for lighting. You can of course use a 4 terminal, but for such a common application I wonder why they don't do a 3 terminal?

The other thing missing is a 3 cable to 1 flex for the earth. I use a 4 terminal with a sleeved piece of 1mm earth going to a 1 cable to 1 flex.

Again, such an obvious application I wonder why they don't have one?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

company, that make the ... err you get the idea.

Glad to see they haven't "wasted" any money on employing expensive web designers :-) not so sure I like cable ties instead of other cable clamps.

is expensive, not sure if these would be as expensive.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used a 3-way lever clamp for that rather than a push-in.

I ran out of 4-terminal push-ins from my mini-kit and had to use 5-way lever clamp module for the 4 earths I needed. For some reason push-ins are even numbers, lever clamps are odd numbers !

When you say "flex" connector, presumably you mean the lever clamps, since the push-ins are obviously no good for multi-strand flex.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Bought a couple of extra boxes today, and it looks like Wago have purchased Wagobox ...

burns.me.uk

Hope they hurry up and make a couple of bigger ones - ideally something like the Ashley with an optional number of ports with cable clamps and a bit of space for arranging a number of terminals and 4-8 cables.

Be ideal for lighting and CH wiring.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Taken then a fair ol' time....