Wacky Windmill Damp

Hi there,

I have recently moved into a windmill (sloping walls) and there is problem with penetrating damp on the North and North East walls. Th areas have been recently pointed but water ingress continues. There i a small step (25mm) about 11ft up the exterior where a wooden walkwa was located. The builder has mortared this creating a slope of mortar Was this the right thing for him to do as I understood pointing onl works where it is flush with the stone? There are signs that porches have been ripped away over the two door and the flahing there looks very very old. What specific problems woul a 10 degree slope cause and how do I combat them especially whe creating new porches?

Hope somebody can help.

Cheer

-- Windy Miller

Reply to
Windy Miller

I guess you have solid stone walls, which in my experience suggests that being completly damp free is not an easy task.

You don't say how much water is comming in. Also In my experience condensation on stone walls on the inside is an issue.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

As Rick says, I wouldnt assume its penetrating rather than condensation. Even in places where water lies on the outside, this will lower internal wall temp and tend to cause condensation. Really you need to establish whats going on first.

10 degree slopes... I've no idea what you were referring to there. We also dont know what materials or finishes are involved, which make a big difference. Maybe some pics would help.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There is evidence of those pesky white salts indicating a localise

ingress of water. Previous occupants decided to board then plaste approx 1.5 inches in front of the stone walls (not ideal IMHO--goo ventilation and lime plaster would have been ideal). Ventilation i sorted. On the question of 10 degree slopes- that is the angle at which al exterior walls slope measured from the perpendicular

-- Windy Miller

Reply to
Windy Miller