VW/Skoda 1.4TDI Engine

Anyone have experience with a car fitted with the above engine?

Reason I ask is, I am very close to purchasing my first car* and it appears that the Skoda Fabia 1.4TDI is the cheapest car to insure; even cheaper than the slower SDI variant. I have compared it to many different cars and always it comes out the cheapest in terms of insurance, even cheaper than 1.3 Corsas/Puntos etc. However, I don't want the money I save on insurance to go on expensive repairs!

My estimated mileage is approximately 18,000 a year hence why I would like a diesel, plus the fact that I have driven a petrol before but much preferred the diesel.

*I have had my license for just under a year now so insurance is now affordable, plus I have driven a company pool car for nearly a year which has made a difference to the price.
Reply to
gremlin_95

its a very good engine - in fact they all are. The 1.7 normally aspirated last forever, but this one is a good un.

If you want value for money skoda is it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

gremlin_95 scribbled...

It's always worth searching goggle with

"Skoda Fabia 1.4TDI problems faults"

Or variations of that

Skoda have national pricing - so you can compare their price with your local mechanic.

Major service (Every 24 months/20,000 miles) This includes: Oil & filter change (fully synthetic oil) Replace pollen filter? Vehicle inspection and report** Replace air filter? Spark plugs? (petrol engine) or fuel filter? (diesel engine) Remove wheels and check brakes Check/adjust tension of all drive belts Check/replenish gearbox oil (where applicable) Check/replenish final drive oil (where applicable) Full vehicle road test*** Vehicle and software enhancements from ?KODA's database Check suspension system Check heating/air con operation Diagnostic check including report Re-set service interval display Wash and vacuum ?KODA stamp in service book £249

Reply to
Artic

En el artículo , gremlin_95 escribió:

uk.rec.cars.maintenace would have been a better place to ask, but have a look at

for the used car guide for your model:

Mike Tomlinson

I've had the Fabia tdi for nine years. Absolutely faultless. I'd get the same again, and may well do in a year or so. I'm pretty tall and it's the most comfortable in its class for me

Reply to
stuart noble

My son in law is a copper & the local Police use Fabia's.

They get abused beyond belief, driven over roundabouts & kerbs, thrashed on motorways, used on double shifts & maintained irregularly.

He concludes that they are actually impossible to break.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

not unless you hit something. SWMBO had an altercation with another car when her nearside front tyre suddenly deflated. Repairs took 6 weeks because of the delay in getting parts from Skoda - and the car was the current model.

Reply to
charles

Many thanks, I will post to that group as well. I am looking at the earlier model, a lot of the problems seem to relate to the petrol models.

gremlin_95

Is it the 1.4TDI or the 1.9TDI you have?

Reply to
gremlin_95

The local police here have a lot of Octavias as do many taxi drivers.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Rob

In message , gremlin_95 writes

I think many taxi Octavias have the official single mass flywheel conversion. My dmf hasn't broken, but I still occasionally trigger the bang and stalled engine when the power pulses from the engine oppose the resonance of the flywheel springs. (1.9tdi)

Reply to
Bill

+1 Great friendly forums for all things Skoda
Reply to
robert

Cheers, posted there now:

gremlin_95

Sorry, I meant Octavias :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

1.4TDI
Reply to
stuart noble

Guessing the Octavia is the Passat equivalent so to speak

Reply to
gremlin_95

Cheers, that is reassuring to know :)

Do you cover a lot of mileage then?

Reply to
gremlin_95

Fabia = Polo Octavia = Golf Superb = Passat

Reply to
Adrian

No, only 5K per year, but nearly all urban crawl (bus pass is cheaper in London). Brake light switch went last month. First thing that's ever gone wrong. I have it sericed/MOT once a year, and that's it

Reply to
stuart noble