VOIP System: Often when I call out and called party picks up, I get busy signal.

"Used" it a few weeks ago. Fault fixed within 45 minutes.

Reply to
Huge

If BT can offer it then so to can any ISP.

Mine does. Although they call it 'prompt care'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave if its that important rapid backup and fault clearance then why not get a mobile and a 3 or 4G dangle and mount it up on the chimney;)

And they are capable of kicking Openreach's arse when required, and are much easier to deal with:)

Reply to
tony sayer

What makes you think I haven't got that as well? The dongle I have will do 4G but:

O2 and Vodafone don't offer 3G or 4G here. Three only offer 3G. EE offer 3G and 4G.

Then you have find a PAYG(*), SIM only deal, from an operator that uses EE or Three as their network operator, that works on at least 3G and allows data tethering. When I was setting this up last year Asda Mobile was pretty much the only one to fit all those requirements but is only 3G.

(*) Only a backup so any monthly cost is not acceptable.

Very much like A&A who I used for ADSL.

Apart from the offshore call center that sticks rigidly to the script(s) I don't find Openreach any problem. Total Care tends to make 'em jump, possibly jump too much. They ended up pulling an engineer (with local knowledge) off a job 40 miles away when the first engineer (without local knowledge) couldn't fix the lack of POTs service, the ADSL was just about working. Despite me telling him that there is a joint post (and where to find it), in Ali cable, at the distance his TDR was saying there was a line anomaly, he tried to fine a spare pair, except there aren't any that work. 2nd engineer got the same TDR result, found the fractured Ali wire in jelly bean in the expected joint post and fixed it in 10 mins.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

End of next day repair service? Look up Total Care, £4.00/month inc VAT.

In theory, as BT Openreach operate an open network, any operator using the Openreach network should be able to buy an "end of next day" service level from Openreach just as BT Retail do. But I don't know where BT Wholesale fits...

For calls that's not difficult. A short (< 1 min) daytime call at BT Retail standard rates will cost around 40p, maybe 50p?

Total Care probably isn't quite such a requirement as it was when the kids were home. No internet was my fault and why wasn't I fixing it. Being in the Dog House for up to a week for Standard Care wasn't acceptable. See other post about the difficulties around mobile data as a backup.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How confusing BT have a "Prompt Care" as well. Which of BT's offering does your ISPs "Prompt Care" match?

BT Total Care: fixed by end of next day, any day of the year, hours nominally 0800 1800.

BT Prompt Care: repair work Mon to Sat 0800 1800. Not Sundays, Public or Bank Holidays.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice