VOIP System: Often when I call out and called party picks up, I get busy signal.

I have VOIP through Axvoice. I have had this with two desk phones. I contacted desk phone manufacturer, and they deny any issue. They say that the VOIP provider would have a certain setting. I didn't follow through and don't know what that is. But my issue persists. Success with Cell phone. Thinking of going to MagicJack. Anyone know why I would get busy signal when called party picks up?

Reply to
Daniel Baker

I use sipcentric.com for US stuff I hadn't heard of Axvoice but looking at their offering it doesn't look that exciting.

My guess is that it's a codec issue. You don't say what model of desk phone you have, try and find the media codec settings and give G711u priority.

Also Home Owners Hub is the spawn of the devil, read this

Graham.

Don't get me started on Voip. The bandwidth and compression often is so bad a tone dialer never works via a microphone any more.Its probably picking up the wrong number. Until these companies do things so it sounds as good as a normal line they can stuff it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not conflating mobiles with VOIP are you? Mobiles go from bad to unuseable with excessive delay. Our VOIP has minimal delay (and I suspect most of that is our interleaved ADSL), Bandwidth more than a POTS line and no "donald duck" compression artifacts.

I've not tried it, VOIP signals keypad presses outside the voice channel for "press 1 for..." menu systems.

Our VOIP is better than a call carried over the POTS line used to carry the VOIP... 3 ish miles of twisted pair takes it's toll on analogue signals. Compared to VOIP a POTS call is lower level, lower bandwidth, with some added noise/hum and sometimes dialing pulses.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Brian Gaff scribeth thus

Beg to differ Brian. We use VoIPfone here and have done so for around 5 years now and no problems Two companies I'm associated with use Gradwell and voip.co.uk and there're fine too, excellent call quality.

And best of all?.

No frickin BT involvement:-)

However your tone dialler may well be a problem due to the Vocoder in use, can't you use the normal DTMF keyboard?..

Reply to
tony sayer

No bother here Dave, in fact call quality on 4G via Vodafone is very good indeed:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Is that native 4G mobile calls or VOIP over 4G data? Of the four network operators only EE provide 4G, 3 might from their cell (note singular), Vodafone is 3G and 02 2G!

But even then you have to be upstairs, by a window, on the right side of the house to stand a chance of having a succesfull mobile phone call. 50 yds down the road - NO SIGNAL. No saturation coverage here like you get in towns and cities. People drive up from the village and park across the road to make phone calls... Strangers to the area get a bit of shock when their phone doesn't work and their full postcode GPS plonks them in the middle of a field 1/2 a mile from any building. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's over native 4G, don't bother with VoIP have unlimited minutes..

The price you pay for living in such a picturesque location i suppose;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

If you use Voip over ADSL, or even FTTC, then you are using your BT wires or fibre. If you have TalkTalk or Zen or phonesRus as your phone supplier, then you are using the same BT wires. So why does Voip mean 'no fricking BT involvement'? Only by using a non-BT system, such as Virgin, would this be possible.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

Reply to
Davey

I think he meneans that the bt landline infrastructure of charging calls and use of their old wired telephone system is not in play, its over the same lines as the internet, if that be bt, but not the charging. The snag is that they rush you line rental anyway, but at least the call charges are separate. Unfortunately as I said before in this thread, the dialling of numbers over services like Voonage etc, seems to be less robust than a directly connected telephone system. I know this is I'd used it for some time but had to get off due to wrong numbers and the inability of a tone dialling memory pad when used on the microphone which worked 100 percent on the virgin telephone connect3ed directly.

There were also distortion compression and echo delay issues that made it almost unusable. So Voip is a nice idea, but seldom seems robust enough. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But I use Zen, and I pay them for the line rental, and it's less than I would be paying BT. That's why I moved to them. That, and the better service, and a charging system that doesn't need an accountancy degree and a crystal ball to understand.

Reply to
Davey

In article , Davey scribeth thus

Suppose i should have said billing and all that;!

Yep simples. We use Virgin and very good they are too here 200 down and

12 up!...

But as said more often than not these days the unlimited mins on Vodafone..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Davey scribeth thus

And a decent well run firm they are too Zen..

Use them where VM don't go..

Reply to
tony sayer

Very much. Wonderful tech. help, good notes enable a different techie to easily pick up where another left off.

Reply to
Davey

Ah, but Zen, and probably other POTS users, have very simple and uncomplicated billing systems. The fact that BT persists in having its own weird and unintelligible methods is just another factor not in its favour.

Reply to
Davey

Do Zen own, operate and maintain the physical copper/glass connection to your premises? Do they offer a 365 day end of next day fault repair option? Note: "end of next day" (which includes Christmas Day) not "end of next working day".

Zen appear to be £16.99/month I'm due to renew with BT at £21.04/month for rental *and* end of next day fault repairs. Cheap (FSVO "cheap") calls are not a selling point for usas we don't make a great deal of calls. £10 credit to the VOIP service provider lasts 3 to 6 months for SWMBO'd, me over a year...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't think so, but I don't need that, nor made any claim that they did. I would be amazed if BT actually provide that service. To do that, they would have to have a very cosy relationship with Openreach, which I thought was forbidden.

We make very few calls as well. For my requirements, Zen makes a lot more sense than BT did. Your requirements and priorities may well differ.

Reply to
Davey

Prepare to be amazed. It's called Total Care. Costs £4/qtr per line and worth every single penny. You may have to bitch at BT to get it (they may (wrongly) say it's not valid for domestic lines.)

Huge

Maybe. But I'll stick with Zen, and sensible billing, thanks.

Reply to
Davey

Yup. I've had it for years, and It's been quite impressive when I've had to 'use' it. Although on one occasion the Indian woman in the call centre cleraly hadn't a clue about what it was, and I had to insist she asked her supervisor.

Reply to
Bob Eager