Voice over IP free phones: good experience shared

SPI? or do you mean SIP (i.e. Session Initiation Protocol)..

You can get a problem with routers that use NAT and are not SIP or H.323 aware. Sometimes these are issues relating to protocols that embed the PCs actual IP address inside packets, a NAT router will hence need to spot these and rewrite the addresses, if end to end comms are to work correctly.

Other times it can simply be that the router needs its packet filter configured to allow the packets types through, or possibly a NAT forwarding entry added to get the packets to the correct computer.

Reply to
John Rumm

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember jog saying something like:

David Atherton. He used to lurk in uk.comp.vendors but I don't know if he still does.

Certainly when he saw something in ucv he would sort it out promptly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Stateful Packet Inspection I suspect?

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

Thank you. That's very useful. I will try that. I usually believe that attitudes towards customers come down from the top. Perhaps not in this case, in the light of the comments about him.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Brilliant! Just ordered one. I'll post when I've tried it.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Before long it should be possible to use a PC as a VOIP PABX.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

"Pete C" wrote | Before long it should be possible to use a PC as a VOIP PABX.

Yes, somebody will write something like, umm, Asterisk.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Do you know if there is a VOIP gadget that will fit between the telephone line a telephone and which will connect to the PC USB port and act a sound card and ringer.

i.e. It will allow a regular telephone to be used to do the VOIP via the PC and when a VOIP telephone call comes in will make the regular telephone ring.

Reply to
Peter

Hi,

Theres a few on Ebay:

I'm not sure whether they will also connect to the normal line though.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Excellent, thanks, This item looks good from the hits your Google search found

TransAkt/IPmental USB to RJ11 Skype Box and more eBay item: 5168843335

Reply to
Peter

Draytek have an ADSL modem with a phone jack on hte back. Plug your standard phone into the ADSL modem to get VoIP. They also offer routing to PSTN at reasonable prices.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Solwise are just about to launch a VoIP gateway / ethernetethernet router that has POTS pass though, and can sit in front of an existing cable modem / adsl router. Cost will in the region of 40 quid IIUC.

Reply to
John Rumm

VOIP is going to turn the telecoms market arround. You are still using the same wires, but the ISP connection model, is different from the normal telecoms charging model, so for many calls VOIP is much cheeper.

In countries with deregulated internet services, but regulated voice services, its going to make a mockery of the regulator.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Great, that and the new Solwise design seem ideal. Does these hardware VOIP designs conform to an open standard ?

- I am a bunny rabbit Sitting in me hutch I like to sit up this end I don?t care for that end much.

Reply to
Peter

Sure. If and when Always connected wireless also takes off it's going to also change the mobile market a lot too. I hope it is the end of extortionate mobile bills!

Reply to
Peter

Fat Chance!

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

Looks like it:

John Rumm

However, I thought Skype wasn't standards compliant (though I'm open to be corrected on this):

Chris

answered that it would. To be honest I am not convinced as yet. I will reserve judgment until I have had a chance to play with one.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds like a good plan. Personally I'm a bit reluctant (perhaps needlessly) to use Skype due to the issues with Kazaa and spyware.

Our phone bill is not significant enough to make a total shift to VoIP worthwhile so I'm not that fussed about interfacing to PSTN.

I've just registered with Free World Diallup

to have a play for now

Reply to
Chris