Violent washing machine in new kitchen

My new kitchen is designed to have a space between units for the existing washing machine, but I'm a touch dubious about it: when it's spinning at full tilt (and no matter how carefully it's packed) the machine vibrates like crazy and usually moves around quite a bit. If it comes into contact with the units the whole installation is going to be shaking fit to bust.

I've wondered about fitting battens to the floor either side of the machine's feet to try to stop it wandering sideways, but I suspect that even if I do that, the vibration will still bring the top of it against the units on either side.

Are there any standard ways to combat this?

Bert

Bert Coules

I should have said that the mechanism seems to be OK, the main bearing is fine, and the machine is properly levelled. It sits on a traditional wooden boarded floor on crosswise joists.

Bert

Bert Coules

It doesn't have its transit clamp(s) still in place does it? Can you bounce the drum on its springs/dampers? Are all the weights still securely attached to the outer drum?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If the space is tight on either side of the machine, then the machine will/should just shake, and not move around the kitchen as you say it does. Are you sure the machine is perfectly level? Has the counter balance weight on the drum come loose? Are the machines shock rods OK? Have any balance springs come off the top of the drum? Have you removed all the travel bars from the machine?

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks to Andrew and Big Wallop for the replies.

The counterbalance weight and springs are all correctly in place, the travel clamps were removed long ago, and the machine is level.

I'm actually more concerned about the shaking than the moving. I think I can control the tendency to walk, but the shaking is so extreme that I'm sure it will be transmitted to the run of kitchen units, which won't do them or their contents much good.

There is a small amount of movement which feels quite tightly damped. My best solution so far has been to use a washing cycle which doesn't incorporate the highest speed spin, but even then the machine still does its whirling Dervish impression. I've seen it suggested that reinforcing the floorboards might help; I suppose that's the next thing to try. That, or a new machine - is any one make or type known to be more stable than the average?

Bert

Bert Coules

we've got an AEG which attempts some load balancing as the spin cycle starts. About 10yrs old now and just starting to vibrate a bit.

What make/model are you using?

Reply to
Tony Lewis

Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

It's a Hoover EcoLogic washer-dryer. I'm not sure exactly how old it is: it was bought to take advantage of the infamous free flights to the USA offer - was that ten years or so ago?

Bert

Bert Coules

My 16(?) year old Hotpoint does this too. It has up to 3 goes at distributing the cloths around the drum, and if it still can't manage it, it won't take the spin up to the highest speed (1400 RPM) but limits it to 1000 RPM. (Apparently in really bad unbalance conditions it won't spin at all and just displays an error code. I've not had this happen, and it usually only happens when a drum mounting has broken.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew,

Impressive. I wish my Hoover exhibited half as much intelligence.

I do wonder if any particular make has been better at eliminating excessive vibration; if I have to replace the Hoover I'd like to make an informed choice.

Bert

Bert Coules

dont know about reliability yet.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Hooper

Tony,

Thanks for that; I have heard good things about them. I'd happily trade long-term reliability for "quiet and stable" just at the moment.

Bert

Bert Coules

rock it at all - corner to corner? If so adjust the foot that is not bearing its share of weight.

By the way - why are owners of Miele appliances smug?

(On my 2nd Indesit in 30 years and have brought up two daughters - both of whom ride horses and have loads of washing - If I consider my cost of ownership over this time it is insignificant - however I had to put some new brushes in the motor last year)

Is the floor flexing and counteracting the effect of leveling the machine?

Reply to
John

John,

There is a very slight movement corner to corner, but it is *very* slight. It might be down to the floorboards flexing. Reinforcing the floor is something I was going to try. What about the actual floor surface? At the moment, the machine is standing on the bare boards: would carpet (or even rubber?) make any odds?

Looking around for a possible replacement, the Indesit range caught my eye. They seem well-featured and very reasonably priced.

Bert

Bert Coules

The message from "Bert Coules" contains these words:

My Hoover (new in 1982) expired earlier this year. That too was rather violent in temperament. Its replacement (a Hotpoint as it happens) gently vibrates and doesn't move around at all. As to reliability only time will tell but judging from the dish washer thread it won't be good.

Reply to
Roger

Roger,

These things do seem to be something of a gamble but I am coming round more and more to the idea of replacing the Hoover. Shaking a brand-new kitchen to pieces for the sake of spending just a bit more money doesn't feel like good sense.

Bert

Bert Coules

Hi,

Could be something like a springy floor/floorboard, try pulling it out and running a washload, does it still move around?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Pete,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought of that, and tried it. The vibration and movement proved just as severe in another location. Perhaps the floor is generally springy all over; but perhaps the machine's just getting on a bit...

Bert

Bert Coules