vinyl coming away on kitchen unit doors?

Several of our doors have the vinyl coming away i.e. not stuck down , but this is not near the edge.

Any tips for sticking it back? I thought about drilling some small holes and injecting some adhesive.

any ides?

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" asked:

Not being able to see the problem makes suggestions difficult, but I wonder if scalpel blade cuts then adhesive brushed in would give a better result than drilling small holes?

Reply to
Richard Head

From B+Q? My parents have got the same problem, 4 years old. And of course, the doors are no longer available to buy, so cannot be replaced.

My theory is that they have got slightly damp at some time(s) and the stick on surface has lost adhesion. I cannot see any way of repairing them. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Probably be better at getting the adhesive behind the vinyl with a small paint brush (artists type not decorators!). Be careful not to lift to shove the brush to far in otherwise the vinyl may stretch even mor and not go back down, it might not anyway. A scalpel cut does allow for some movement.

Alternativly inject a small amount of ashesive via a small guage hyperdemic needle. In both cases use a seam roller to flatten things down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I read that as Steam Roller.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I'm guessing you mean melamine veneer rather than vinyl? If so, drill a hole from /behind/, being careful not to damage the front veneer, and inject pva & clamp

Such doors react very badly to damp & water.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Modern doors are a mdf door, with a thin vinyl skin applied to the surfaces. The skin quality varies between manufacturers, some are as thin as a piece of kitchen foil, others half a mm. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Ours were due to (1) Custard from the microwave suddenly boiling over when an attempt was made to stir it. It ran down the door below the worktop and loosened the glue, and (2) steam from the kettle shrank and lifted the vinyl form a wall cupboard door. The door on the extractor over the cooker is alos suffering but to a much lesser extent.

B&Q still stock the same "it" range kitchen 7 years after we bought it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q