Vigil

Not sure in which group to pose this question ...

After watching the first episode of Vigil last night, I wonder what are the multiple waterfall displays shown in the submarine's control room?

Are they audio frequency spectra?

If so, why so many similar displays?

Reply to
gareth evans

gareth evans used his keyboard to write :

Yes! They identify other sub models by the noise signature they make.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

SONAR.

I could tell you, but then...

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not just other models, but often individual subs within a number of identical models. This kind of precise discrimination is a real concern for the Trident subs given their critical role and the fact there are only 4 of them in total!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, why not have a black captain, if that upsets you so much then you are indeed having racist issues. On a completely different tack, I did not watch it as I don't like 6 or sometimes more part series, call me a person with a short attention span if you like, but from past experience they tend to have a lot of padding and tie you up for a lot of evenings. OK you could use Catch up and I'm sure its streaming on a paid for platform somewhere as well, but I'd accept two part but 6. There do seem to be quite a few of these series coming along at the moment. The thing I thought you might be going to say was why is the investigator a woman in a very male orientated environment. Often you find intimidation attempts and some men just won't open up to a woman as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Mind you I did think that C5 having a black Anne Boleyn was going a bit too far. Yes, there were blacks in England at the time. Henry VIII famously had a black trumpeter. However, none were in noble families except, perhaps, as servants. I didn't watch it to see how they twisted the plot to get around that problem.

It could be worse Brian. Broadcasting traditionally has four 13 week seasons and programmes are often made for 13, 7 or 6 week runs.

There have been women submariners in the Royal Navy since 2014, but I assume the problems of a female investigator would be part of the plot.

Reply to
nightjar

In article <sgkjva$9pu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff (Sofa) snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> scribeth thus

Simples Brian!, its cos most all blokes aren't as Sexi as Missy Surrane!....

Looks like she'll be opening up to the Cox 'ere long;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

You often see images, sometimes a bit blurred, in submarine documentaries. I'd love to have an explanation of what they are actually showing.

I think that type of display has been around for a long time, presumably they rely on the human ability to do quite extraordinary pattern recognition, and sifting signals from noise. I guess these days with real time processing power plus AI there will be electronic systems operating in parallel

I'm amazed how well music tuner apps in smartphones perform, also there is an app that records birdsong, does an FFT (presumably) on a sample, and goes off somewhere and gets an ID.

As one of the commentators noted, the days of the simple "optical path" periscopes are long gone.

Reply to
newshound

The coxwain is just too good to be true (in TV drama space).

And what about the personality flip of the XO!

Early days, but to my mind it lacks the subtlety of Line of Duty, or the slow burn bleakness of Edge of Darkness (which in spite of being ridiculous in parts still stands the test of time as drama, IMHO).

Reply to
newshound

See periscope, point laser sighted rifle at it, don't bother firing.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

It's the BBC, so *of course* it's part of the plot! She will be up against horrid men making her life difficult but as a strong woman she will eventually prevail against them all and show 'em just how tough and smart a woman can be. There - I've saved you having to watch the remaining 4 hours. --

"There are, besides, eternal truths, such as Freedom, Justice, etc., that are common to all states of society. But Communism abolishes eternal truths, it abolishes all religion,and all morality, instead of constituting them on a new basis; it therefore acts in contradiction to all historical experience."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Or even the BBC, at all...

Reply to
Spike

That particular meme is not restricted to the BBC, or even to broadcasting.

Reply to
nightjar

No, they will be passive listening devices. Frequency in the x direction, amplitude set by brightness, and over time as it falls down the screen.

To provide directional information?

Reply to
Fredxx

Passive sonar is also sonar.

Niklas

Reply to
Niklas Karlsson

Only just realised he is Endeavour!

Correct, I should have been more explicit. Although I quite enjoyed the film, particularly the way Mel Gibson dealt with the security services tail.

The mini series also had rather fine theme music, by Michael Kamen and Eric Clapton.

Reply to
newshound

Yes; while I don't actually overlap the period, it was very much my parents' generation, and seems to me to ring true with the adults that I met in childhood.

Roger Allam, as Morses's boss in Endeavour, is exactly like most of my father's friends.

Reply to
newshound