Very Stiff Shower Thermostat

I have a Hudson Reed shower, about 7 years old A lot like this http://www.ultra-group.co.uk/productdetails-with-Premier.asp?brand=Hudson%20Reed&types=2&rangeid 2&productid21
The temperature control has become very stiff. It appears that the themostatic control valve is the problem. I have opened it all up and found the cartridge, which appears to be an SA30039, like this http://www.ergonomicdesigns.co.uk/SA30049-Hudson_Reed_Replacement_Thermostatic_Cartridge.html
A local plumbing shop I tried suggested removing it and soaking in Soda Crystals (presumablt to try to reduce limescale build up) That helped a little, but not much
So my next stage is to consider an active acid based descaler. Is this a good idea? Or is it posble to dimantle it further and manual clean it?
Or does anyone have any better advice? The valve itself still works, but as it stands I am the only one in the house strong enough to turn it.

acid removes limescale, not soda. Citric is as mild as it gets, I'd give it an overnight soak in heated citric.
NT
replying to NT , Jenson wrote:

I have the same problem with a cartridge that looks like an SA30049. Did the de-scaler work in the end?
On 10/08/2015 14:44, Jenson wrote:

You'll be lucky if he's still here to ask. That was March 2012...
Andy
replying to Vir Campestris , Jenson wrote:

It's one of those problems that is ideal hearing from someone a number of years down the line to see if their repair has held up over time as opposed to a flash in the pan, but I agree, he's probably eloped to Florida, sipping martini's on the beach. Lucky fella!
replying to Jenson, Carlos wrote:

years
flash
on
Hi I have the same Valve and Problem. Were you able to fix it? If So please let me know what did you use and how.
Thanks, CR
On 26/10/2015 18:44, Carlos wrote:

We don't know what he used, but he hasn't been seen since 2012.
(citric acid was suggested)
Andy
replying to Vir Campestris , Jenson wrote:

Yeah, I don't think he will either. I ended up buying a new one anyway as the limescale remover didn't work for very long (like 3 weeks). - https://www.divapor.com/spares/showers/thermostatic-cartridge/hudson-reed-thermostatic-cartridge-sa30049-ultra-sa30049.php
Same issue! Gonna have to buy one and pay someone to come n fix - unless it ’s a simple swap I could psbly do myself? Gonna search some more
On Thursday, 18 January 2018 18:34:00 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

it’s a simple swap I could psbly do myself? Gonna search some more
it is for aqualisa showers, can't speak for others.
NT

I replaced one last year for the same reason. It was a very simple job.
Mike