Very OT, memory card

The card should be fine. He can repair the files in VLC, this site details a simple fix;

The real matter is that he's probably not using the dashcam properly. Ask him to try stopping a recording _before_ switching off the camera, not just powering it down. Chances are he's corrupting the files by not following the correct close down process.

Reply to
greyridersfirst

Its not an old card reader that can only read cards up to 2Gb? (ie SD cards rather than SDHC)

Reply to
Chris B

From what you have said, there is no guarantee that the card is damaged at all. It might just be a software incompatibility - has this ever worked with that cam?

If this is a new problem, and its worked in the past with other cards, then there are several possibilities, including the card reader not being compatible, or a non working SD card.

Has he tried copying a large file from the PC onto the SD card with his card reader, and then copying back and verifying if the copy left the file uncorrupted? (for example if he copies a working AVI to the card, and then copies back and tries to play it)

Reply to
John Rumm

The AVI index must be something that the camera or possibly the playback device must create. Maybe the OP should if possible download the manual and make sure the correct procedures are being followed. I doubt the card has been damaged.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Good call!

Reply to
newshound

Thanks to all that have replied. I've passed your thoughts on to him.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Card reader into his computer. A new card reader he tells me.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

My "ddPai" dashcam works fine but needs at least genuine Sandisk Ultra cards. It records mp4's rather than avi's.

I also had to turn the video resolution of the camera one stop down from the highest, because the video wouldn't play on my PC. Apparently the files will play on Macs at the highest resolution.

The other thing was that I had to format the card in the camera and not in the PC. Might be worth trying formatting each way?

Reply to
Bill

I got a cheapo card reader off eBay for about 3 quid that was dodgy and only works on 2 out of 3 laptops. Little flat thing with 4 slots. Just saying.

Reply to
therustyone

Good points, I'll tell him to try that. Cheers

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire