Vermin

Since January I have heard creatures entering the house via the route of gutter,tiles and then a popping sound through either a dodgy soffit or felt. This happens on three areas of the roof.
I have had the Council out on several occasions but will not rule on it being vermin unless I can find droppings. The latest I have noticed is the green insulation of the hot water cylinder being eaten, also carpet edging ,underlay etc. Stinks under some of the floorboards especially at night.
The council pest control did lay bait but only in the main loft area. Would not look around boundary of loft due to H&S . Also wouldn't lift my insulation to check underneath due to H&S. Due to a walking disability I cannot go into the loft myself but can see the bricks that separate my property from the neighbours (semi detached).I think there are problems in this no mans land too.
My neighbour will not acknowledge a problem but I have spoken to others who have had dead rats on their drive and there have been past problems with homes in the vicinity, two of which are empty whilst going through the cleansing process.
The sound in the walls and sometimes fish smell under the carpet together with black scuff marks appearing almost daily is driving me crazy.
I have had an odd job roofer in to check the bottom two layers of tiles, didn't find anything unusual. I also contacted a roofer who I have known a long time but showed no interest. Also contacted a few builders that give the impression that I am some weirdo . Is their no tradesmen for this work ?
It seems more and more likely the house will have to be sold to a builder who will rerroof, fumigate and leave the place empty for several months.
I write here in case anyone else has been through something similar and can offer some advice. Thanks.
Michelle.
On 23/03/2012 19:07, Michelle wrote:

Last time we had a problem with thingies in the loft we called out a private contractor, not the council.
Have a look on www.yell.com, in the category "pest & vermin control services" in your area. Or just ask around...
H&S? or CBA?
Andy
harry wrote:

They are easy to poison tho.

Thanks for the replies. I have been putting traps down also laying bait around the house with no effect.
In the evening the dog down the road goes beserk for a couple of minutes and this is when they go out for food, I also hear them reenter.
Neighbours have multi bird feeders which drop many seeds and another neighbour puts out food (presumably for birds) . My requests to stop this get ignored.
I have not seen any rat droppings only wgite stuff.They also gnaw around screw holes in drawers.
Even when relatively quiet during the morning period I get a short sound similar to an old smoke alarm battery that needs changing .
I will look at yell.com in the hopes of finding someone who can do something . Thanks.
Michelle

You have replied to two posters that A. Don't unbderstand you are not agile any more B. Want your house to stink of dead rat.
It sounds like the council are fobbing you off. Write to the head office and a local paper. Get a real man in to do the job and get photos to show up the council for what they are.
Michelle wrote

Do you do the baiting so you can see if it gets eaten ?
I prefer to use old jar lids and pour the pellets into those.
Very easy to see if it gets eaten.
I found one bait gets eaten forever and the other they seem to work out that its a bait.
Corse its hard to be sure what ate it, it might get eaten by cockroaches I spose.
I did find some corpses which I just put in the bin.
No smell from the corpses, dunno why.

Yeah, you arent likely to change neighbour behaviour.

Weird. Dont have any myself so I dunno if thats common.

Michelle wrote:

Is this a bungalow and do you have access to under the floorboards (maybe someone helpfull to lift a few for you)?
--
Adam