ventilation in a bathroom

However building regulations do apply to any 'material change' so if doing a rewire, it is arguable that they do apply to all electrical

*fittings*.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes.

But it doesn't make sense to have it controlled by the light switch, wasting power when you go into the bathroom during the day.

Today is Earth Day.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Solar powered searches for one day only[1] :-)

Apart from fact that the entire solar system is, well errm, solar powered every other day too, but YKWIM ..

Reply to
Andy Burns

I do. And isn't it a clever Google! Mind you, they mostly are.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Except in the case of our downstairs loo[1] which has a PIR controlled light so visiting kids don't get all panicky when they shut the door and only then realise it's utterly dark inside.

[1] Known as the sidraT 'cos unlike the Tardis it's a lot smaller inside than you expect. Even smaller than HDV's, and doesn't have a priest-hole like hers.
Reply to
Guy King

Teach them how to use the switch :-)

But the question was about a BATHroom, no mention was madeof a wc.

Not that I think it's necessary to have an extractor fan in the lav, we don't, just the wall ventilator brick. It's not a problem now and wasn't when five offspring lived here or when we have people staying.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :

A humidity sensor only would mean it would only be actuated by use of bath or shower. I assume you also have a toilet in your bathroom and the need to remove smells after its use? The PIR copes with that need.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No.

No.

As I said, the op asked about a bathrom, not a lavatory.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

That's great if they're your own kids, but there's times when there's half a dozen ectopic sprogs hurtling around. Several times they got into the downstairs loo and had major wobblies as a result. The lock's also one of those that can be opened from the outside if needed - which I reckon's a good idea on pretty well all lockable internal doors - plenty of privacy but access when needed in an emergency.

Reply to
Guy King

I don't know how people survived without modern technology.

er - did you really mean ectopic?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Yeeah - they're out of place - ie. in mine.

Reply to
Guy King

Its no necessary for ventilation per se, but it IS necessary in conjunction with modern insulation and draughtproofing standards..in essence the theory is that you build what amounts to a hermetically sealed polystyrene box, and then punch specific holes in it to control moisture build up.

It works, but its a far cry from open chimneys/fires and draughty doors and windows..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We don't have those either. Ours is an efficient house. And a warm one.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:48:18 +0100 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

Moisture build up can be controlled with a suitable window. No need to burn electricity and more reliable.

Reply to
David Hansen

Well sure, it can, but windows let cold air (and thieves) in as well as hot sticky air out.

The purpose of the extractor fan is to provide a secure way to exhaust saturated air, and replace it with warm drier air from the rest of the building..thats the theory anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah but David if you open a window you let in fresh air, which can sometimes even be COLD!!!!!!!!!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A theory that only works if there is a way for air to enter the room with a fan. You need a gap under the bathroom door to let warm drier air in.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:52:59 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Suitably designed natural ventilation will provide adequate ventilation without excessive cold draughts. The only "problem" is that it requires more thought than an extractor fan.

Reply to
David Hansen

It happens that Mary Fisher formulated :

For a bathroom which does not include a lavatory then a humidity controlled fan (no PIR) is fine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Aye well, there's the rub!

Mary