Using green/yellow as switched live

Both screwfix and tollstation do suitable flex.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The neutral connection on the boiler for the pump is there for convenience. A neutral may be taken from the wiring centre if you wish to do so.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Screwfix was a possibility...but the fact that I couldn't get it very locally perhaps explains why the job is often bodged..

Reply to
Bob Eager

Most likely neutral, live, switched live (and we'll forget about earth).

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

On 24 Jan 2009 15:01:24 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager" wrote this:-

has six cores plus protective conductor. That should be fine for most household systems. Unused cores can be terminated and left spare.

Reply to
David Hansen

Think I looked at that one, but nothing about being rated to 90 deg. C.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 25 Jan 2009 11:45:43 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager" wrote this:-

Simply terminate it near anything that may get hot and use suitable cable from there to the hot bit.

I don't suppose that cowboys who use the protective conductor as a live one bother about temperature ratings either, but there isn't a rash of melted flex. Certainly none of the boilers or pumps which I have used have ever been so hot where the supply wiring runs that normal PVC covered cable would be in any danger of melting.

Reply to
David Hansen

The thing was only a metre long. And I'd still need to source the cable for the last bit. The spec said 90 deg. so that's what I used.

So you'd ignore the recommendation in the boiler installation manual?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't think much needs high temperature cable - except perhaps an immersion heater connection. The current everything else takes is low, and PVC won't melt at the sort of ambient temps you'll find on boiler connections.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As I said, I was just doing it 'by the book'! The new boiler is a lot cooler than the old one was in the same places, but that's what the book says!

(and, after all, one of the reasons *I* did the electrics was to avoid having any bodges (well, bodges that weren't mine!) done)

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 25 Jan 2009 12:18:57 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager" wrote this:-

Then I wouldn't bother to use it.

Did I say that I would?

Reply to
David Hansen

While six cores plus cpc is suitable for Y plans - I've used it myself, unfortunately you need seven plus cpc for S plans. I'm not aware of any supplier of this.

Reply to
Mike

Nothing wrong with using multiple flexes - provided the earth wires remain just that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wire up S plans quite often and I have never needed 6 cores plus CPC.

Do not leave me guessing, why did you need more than 6 cores?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Best practice is to sleeve the spare cores with green/yellow and terminate them to earth.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've done that with thermostat and programmer runs but the 6 core flex with multiple colours simplifies installation and fault finding immensely if you have a 10 or 12 way chock block/wiring centre close to the boiler and another one in the airing cupboard/next to the diverter valve and run the 6 core between the two and then 3 core flex to the diverter/hot water thermostat/boiler/fused spur. No mixing up of browns and blues and every core colour ties in with the standard Y plan scheme. Thing is (and as someone who looked at it a few months ago said) with all the cables neatly clipped it just looks too neat for any spark associated with a CORGI to have installed it. :)

I dread looking at the CH wiring in my parents place. Wired by an idiot who looped the boiler and pump T&E round the boiler and OH stat capillaries! There is no colour coding whatsoever, no wiring diagram either until I buzzed it all out - and despite it claiming to be a Y plan there was an unconnected core that would enable the heating to run independent of the hot water.

Reply to
Mike

From the standard Honeywell diagram

Really shitty copy here

Terminal 1 Grey wire to both zone valves (common contact) Terminal 2 Blue wire to both zone valve motors Terminal 3 Green Yellow cpc to both zone valves Terminal 5 Brown to heating zone valve motor Terminal 6 Unspecified colour to cyl stat normally open Terminal 8 Brown to cyl stat common and hot water zone valve motor Terminal 10 Orange wire to both zone valves (Normally open contact)

I can't see any further scope for core sharing and so make that 6 cores plus cpc. (not the seven plus cpc I said)

Maybe it was 5 plus cpc for Y plan and 6 plus cpc for S plan and it was the 6 plus cpc I couldn't find This would be around 8 or 9 years ago I went round all the local electrical factors plus Newey and Eyre and CEF.

I would have preferred to go S Plan because I had previously acquired a large box of unused 2 port 22mm valves at an auction and the desire to use a single cable rather than a hotch potch of T&E on a brand new build mean that none of them got used and I had to go out and buy half a dozen 3 port valves (it was a multiple holiday let installation)

Reply to
Mike

Depends on how through you are being on the programmer to wiring center connection. I can see 9 wires being used:

Supply (L N E) CH (NO C NC) HW (NO C NC)

One wouldn't normally need the two NO's in S Plan and the two C's could share the L but you loose flexabilty at a later date by not having everything back in the wiring center.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Interesting. I also have to fault find Y and S plans frequently so a setup like yours would be nice to fault find on. I usually see T&E everywhere with bits of flex etc

I keep 3, 4, 5 and 6 core flex on the van but the 6 core lasts for ages.

6 core (inc green/yellow as one of the cores) would be needed for both S and Y plans with your method. ie one flex from the valves and the cylinder stat wiring center down to a wiring center by the boiler.

I have never wired a system up in this way but it seems a reasonable and logical way of doing things.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Uh! I wire up all sorts of controls and have never needed more than 5+E.

Reply to
Ed Sirett