Using Gmail accounts in Outlook [OT in uk.d-i-y]

IIRC I decided against that as I don't have a phone on which I could install Google's 2 factor authentication app and I didn't want to risk being locked out when away from home and out of SMS range. But I appreciate that put's me in a minority; and I haven't checked since if there are other options.

Reply to
Robin

Gmail works fine here in Outlook 10 and Outlook 2013 using both IMAP and POP3

IMAP ==== Incoming imap.gmail.com using Port 993 and with SSL Outgoing smtp.gmail.com using Port 465 and with SSL

POP3 ==== Incoming pop.gmail.com using Port 995 SSL Outgoing smtp.gmail.com using Port 465 SSL or 587 TLS

Reply to
"...winston‫"

Doesn't work with 2007 though, sadly.

Reply to
Roger Mills
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Not enough info. POP3 or IMAP ? What are your settings ? Port, SSL or TLS, Password form (e.g Cleartext), Authentication, etc.

Is Gmail web UI user settings configured properly to enable POP3 or IMAP (i.e. correct mail protocol enabled) ?

I've a replacable drive for this laptop with Win7/OL07 - testing it works fine using POP3. For IMAP, works too - though my settings for IMAP are Port 993 with SSL and 587 with TLS

Fyi...I don't scan email incoming or outgoing. There are occasions that if enabled current or in the past doing so can corrupt the email account, registry data, or pst file.

Reply to
"...winston‫"

Anyway, as suggested by lots of people, I've now told it to permit less secure apps - and I was instantly able to send and receive test messages again.

So, looks like end of story - unless Google's dire warnings were genuine!

Reply to
Roger Mills

| Not to mention that as soon as it gets sent anywhere every | intermediate server can see the E-Mail, not just Google.

Those are two very different things. Someone

*could* see your email, just as they *could* hear your phone calls. We already know the NSA does that. But Google officially reading your email and keeping their own copy is very different from someone hacking the main backbone servers. ....At least it is to me. If you don't mind Google reading and co-owning your email that's up to you... so long as you don't send a gmail email to me and expect me to answer. :)
Reply to
Mayayana

I meant that using the secure smtp protocol ..thats the standard these days. Fully encrypted at least to the mail relay, and possibly beyond that.

I misremebered it its SSL, not SSH - sorry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

993 is for IMAP not POP3
Reply to
"...winston‫"

I did wonder if that's what you meant. :-)

Still only encrypts between you and your ISP though, what happens beyond that on the way to the E-Mail's destination is anybody's guess and is essentially insecure - or at least you should assume it is.

The only way you can ensure some sort of privacy is to encrypt the mail itself using PGP or similar. Otherwise, I repeat, E-Mails are neither secure nor private, regardless of SSL or whatever between you and your ISP.

Reply to
cl

Correct. but at least it takes one very weak link - a packet sniffer on your own wifi - out of the possible lines of attack...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What WiFi? :-) The system I use to send mail is hard wired to the router.

Reply to
cl