using connector blocks

Is it within the IEE regs to use connector strips or blocks to wire up halogen lighting in the ceiling? Specifically I am thinking of connecting the lighting spur to various halogen lights using connector blocks (which subsequently connect to transformers). Is this allowed or do I need to use enclosed junction boxes (the round type).?

John

Reply to
john

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:17:44 +0100, "john" strung together this:

If it's 12V, yes, but crimped connections are better. If it's 240V, no.

Reply to
Lurch

Pity the man who did my bathroom lighting didn't realise that. The snarl of wires and chocolate blocks in the ceiling is faintly amusing.

The replacement junction boxes are in the garage, awaiting the discovery of the round tuit.

Reply to
Huge

I agree about using the crimped connections made with a good quality ratchet crimping tool. But strip connectors can be enclosed inside a "chocbox" which would satisfy the regs.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

On 18 Jun 2004 07:11:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (John Southern) strung together this:

Yes, never thought of that. It'd also give you a cable clamp as well for the lighting leads.

Reply to
Lurch

I spotted the ads in Pro sparky mag and thought hmmm thats better than using insualtion tape ! Yes ive done it and will hold my hand up and say its bad practice. Also fancy getting my hands on some WAGO connectors to see if there any better than trusty choccy blocks.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

On 18 Jun 2004 16:11:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (John Southern) strung together this:

I think they're fantastic! I've seen them in the magazines but when I visited the WAGO stand at Interbuild I had a big handful from the samples jar. After using a few on the odd job here and there I was impressed enough to go and order one of those selection trays, they've got a connector for every occasion. They're particularly handy when you're trying to put light fittings up with restricted cable length and\or room.

Reply to
Lurch

Ooh, what have I been missing?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

On 20 Jun 2004 07:59:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) strung together this:

Er, dunno. My last post pretty much brought you up to date!

Reply to
Lurch

At a guess:

Dave Liquorice

ack, don't you just hate linking to websites based around ?!!!

which product is it (ie how do you navigate to it)?

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

erm, tried "Electrical Interconnections" the lefthand image of the three. I don't know which specific product the OP was refering as there are many...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ah, sorry I thought you were referring to a specific product on the site & the link had been thwarted by the frameset-based website.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I'm guessing they maent this one:

tis only a guess...

I always thought those were relatively insecure compared to conventional screwdowns.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Well, it is an online 'katalogue' ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 21 Jun 2004 15:57:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) strung together this:

That's what I always thought, until I started using them. They arev actually better, as the screw down connectors are usually crap imports with dodgy screws, and my favourite fault with them, screws down the side of terminals. I wouldn't go back to normal commectors now.

Reply to
Lurch

Only if you use Microsoft Internet Explorer - otherwise it is no more than a set of "error" pages. I try not to buy from companies that don't understand enough about computers to not swallow the flash sales patter of a poor web design house - if they are that technically incompetent then how long before I discover that thier product is not safe with "my type of wire" or "my shape of screwdriver".

Reply to
Matt Beard

You must have a duff browser or NTL are playing silly beggers with their "transparent" caches. B-) Works fine with Mozilla under OS/2...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Err, check my headers...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:57:41 +0100, Matt Beard strung together this:

Not really, the people at WAGO know about connecting wires together. They don't know anything about web design, they ask someone who proffesses they do who in actuality don't. I have to say I'm not impressed with flash sites but it doesn't make their product any less. It's like someone coming on this group and asking a question and receiving a reply from IMM, a uk.d-i-y virgin doesn't know anything about his stupidity but can only asssume that because he says he knows what he's on about that he does, when he doesn't.

Reply to
Lurch