Using big wall tiles

I'm about to do some more tiling and was going to use fairly big tiles (315x450) but someone said they might be too big for a plasterboard wall. Is this true?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Oops, forgot to add ... is there any guidance around on how far tiles should extend above a bath and a wash basin?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I would say to the ceiling. But thats just personal preference.

Reply to
Stu

Are you sure? bare plasterboard=cardboard covering=heavy tiles=tile adhesive applied wet= oooh! I dunno?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not necessarily. You can get guidance about load bearing capabilities from websites of platerboard manufacturers. Obviously this will only be a guide as you presumably dont know the manuf of your plasterboard as its already fitted!. It cant be that much of an issue though as most modern house construction uses plasterboard in some form for internal walls.

tarquinlinbin

Tiles are just like very thin bricks.

The purpose of the plasterboard is to stop them falling over, not support the weight :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So can you say to OP...YES thats fine go ahead. ;-)

Water has a tendancy to get anywhere and everywhere, even behind tiles. :-) these size tiles on plaster yes,but on bare plasterboard, Hmmmm! I dunno?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Water does not have a tendency to get anywhere and everywhere.

It has a remarkably hard time going THROUGH tiles for example.

This may indeed have something to do with why they are used in bathrooms.

Likewise it has a hard time going through water resistant grout and water resistant tile adhesives

This may indeed have something to do with why they are used in bathrooms.

It has a remarkably hard time going through silicone sealant.

This may indeed have something to do with why it is used in bathrooms.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher