useing a curved pot with an induction heater?

We are thinking of buying one of those table 'induction' heaters to cook a Japanese type of vegetable meal actually on the dining table.

The cast iron pot traditionally used for this is one that we already have. It is though designed for use over a *gas* burner and it does not have a

*flat* bottom. So the surface area in contact with the induction heater would be much reduced.

The pot looks like a miniature witches cauldron with a curved bottom and three tiny little stumpy legs to rest on. The fact that the pot surface area in contact with the induction heater surface is reduced to three little legs, would that mean that electricity is actually being wasted in heating such a pot or is it that it just would not heat up very much using an induction heater ? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
john zeiss

Um, cut off the legs. :-)

Sheldon

john wrote on Wed, 3 Dec 2008 17:32:48 -0000:

I've never used an induction cooker but I can't see that contact is necessary since the fluctuating magnetic field heats the pot (magnetic).

Reply to
James Silverton

I am guessing shabu-shabu? Its not so much that you are wasting electricity its that it won't work as well or maybe not at all because the energy is coupled magnetically.

What we have been using for years for shabu shabu and sukiyaki is a deep electric skillet. It has a thermostatic control. My Japanese friends though it was a great idea because the thermostat eliminates fiddling with the gas burner.

Reply to
George

To achieve a measurable - in practice - effect, there will have to be some contact and, with a concave pot bottom, there will be hardly any. So, an induction heater will have to be concave, too, something on these lines: . However, to be at all efficient, the curvature of the pot will have to match that of the heater - and that can be a problem with any pot not specifically matched with the heater. Besides, those little legs will probably make it impossible anyway.

Victor

Reply to
Victor Sack

It's not, but the closest parts will have a greater induced field. The formula is complex and depends on the radius of the induction coil and the distance from the coil (wikipedia has it). The question is how much hotter will the feet get and will that cause undue thermal stress. I don't know but suspect that there are easier methods to cook this goose.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You could place a flat pot on the induction heater, half-full that pot with water or oil, then place the cauldron in the water or oil.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

I own a induction cook top & would venture to guess it won't work. If your vessel doesn't have enought contact, it will simple not reconize it! I'm less familar with the stand alone models though. I would suggest bring it in to the store and ask for it to be check...Good luck..

Reply to
robtma

You need a closely fitting base, within 1/4" or so (or 1/2" at most), depending on the layout of the heater coils. Otherwise the field doesn't couple well into the pot and apparent power will be pitiful. Legs certainly won't help (unless the heater can sit between them).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Speaking of induction hobs, I see Lidl are doing a small 2 kW countertop one from next Thursday for £29.99. (I would offer a link but the Lidl site seems broken at the moment. Asks for a postcode but keeps returning to the same page. May mean that we're not getting them in our town).

Must admit I'm quite tempted (if available) although I'm not sure what I would do with it. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie