Useful hack for broken rivet.

I have a Roman blind that I took down for redecorating and needed to put back up. One of the clips that hold it up broke. It is a pressed steel cam that locks it into place, riveted to the mounting bracket, with the rivet as a crude 'use once' bearing. I tried to find brass tube in the meatal stock but the diameter was too small. Then I found an old telescopic antenna off a 1980s portable radio. Brass tube of ascending diameters - perfect. A short section and some time with a hammer, and it is holding for now.

And since I will never put it up again, ever - either I will die or it will be replaced with something else, it is good enough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...and here's a useful hack for a broken bolt on a nuclear submarine:

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Not as useful, really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

should have used CBF!

Reply to
PeterC

DIN 892, DIN 906, DIN 896, DIN 897, ... ?

Oh, these DIN numbers are from here:

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

:-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes DIN are German Specs. I used some German sort of superglue once to fix a broken belt on a tape recorder, Not sure I'd chance it for something like a nuclear reactor though. Incidentally, I have a Dbx processor unit here. It looks well made, but is not. Two shortcomings with age. The rivets, simply plastic pop rivets, seem to be all that earths the phono sockets to the case causing intermittent faults, and the switches are crap and need constant cleaning. They are of the multi push button kind. I've seem better switches in Goodman's and Amstrad gear than these ones. I'm gradually replacing the rivets with self tapping screws and sprint washers, but there is not a lot to be done with the crappy plating on the multiway switches. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You will have missed the humour brian, the picture shows screws for impossible situations, with descriptions in German e.g.

for diagonally drilled holes

for offset holes

Magnetic screw head for quickly simulating screwing

Reply to
Andy Burns

See Vanguard was yet another example of a Defence project massive overspend .... >>

Vanguard started what was originally intended to be a three-year Long Overhaul Period (Refuel) – (LOP[R]) – at Babcock International's Devonport facility in Plymouth in December 2015. However, the programme ended up taking almost seven years at significantly increased cost because of technical issues as well as further setbacks arising from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Easy to overrun and hugely overspend when Government is paying.

Reply to
Sargan