Used Granite

Yes, really. It is solid black through and through and very fine grained. Gabbro according to wiki has large crystals of 1mm or more.

This is where it came from

The photo top left with a 'satino' finish is the product. They call it 'black granite'.

It might be some kind of metamorphosed slate. But the edges are polished up and there is no hint of any grain at all.

Which does not accord with wikis description of gabbro.

Anyway, it is what it is no matter what its geologically correct name is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Basalt and gabbro have the same chemistry. Both are alkaline igneous rocks. They differ in their mode of formation. Basalt is a lava, ejected out of a volcano or ocean-floor fissure. It cools quickly and as a consequence is fine-grained. Gabbro is the same stuff but cooled slowly, deep in the earth's crust. Hence it is coarse-grained, as the different minerals within it have time to grow into sizeable crystals. TNP's work-tops look fine-grained, hence basalt.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I no longer care what they are. They withstand almost anything and are bomb proof and I like em

Never been sealed :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like I said, Granite (or gabbro, or basalt!) I can believe.

Quartz?

"Quartz worktops are made of pieces of natural stone bonded together with a small amount of adhesive."

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Why do they make kitchen worktops of limestone, which would be attacked by vinegar or lemon juice? Maybe it's just as well they don't make "marble effect" tops of petrological marble, as the same would apply. What's the matter with Formica?

Reply to
Max Demian

My bathroom is quartzite tiles. Whatver that means

A quick google suggets that quartzite is real stone, quartz is real stone in a resin matrix.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maeble and other stones have good thermal mass. This is occasionally imporatnt. Marble slabs are oten used for pastry rolling

TBH the only two really bombproof worksurface finishes are silicate stone or stainless steel.

Ther is one artificail one that is good - Coram? then for me just get bog standard coated chip.

If its going to get wet and dirty Wood is OK but it doesnt take that sort of treatment.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Corian: mixture of resin and minerals all the way through; fillers to match so joins pretty well invisible, and chips & scratches can be repaired. But the price...

Reply to
Robin

We have something similar but in bright red with silver flecks in it, very nice it is.

Reply to
dennis

Thats the bunny!

I think I paid less for the 'black granite'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The 'minerals' being only one, aluminium hydroxide aka alumina trihydrate aka martifin. Also effective fire retardant, because the Al(OH)3 decomposes at a relatively low temperature (~200C) to release water vapour which has a quenching effect on the fire.

Reply to
Chris Hogg