Urinal - over enthusiastic flush

For many years the gents toilet cistern was set to a trickle at Church (to save water) to the degree it probably never spluttered into life.

Having responded to complaints of the smell, I have fitted a water miser thingy which flushes when people use the toilet - great, smell has gone away!

However, we now have puddles on the floor from one of the two urinals. First thoughts was the trap at the bottom, so removed, cleaned up, resealed, etc. (I get all the nice jobs)

Still puddles!

After watching a flush with a bucket under the trap, I noticed that there was no leak for the first half of the flush and then "lots" of water. Examination showed this was when the syphon got going really well the water coming out of the flush bit (don't know the technical term) was powerful enough to get over the sides of the porcelain. Under the outlet there is a slit - looks a bit like a smiley face - where the water comes out. Applying a bit of insulating tape to the ends solved the problem on a temporary basis, but I need to make a more permanent fix.

Can anyone suggest a suitable glue, metal putty or whatever which would stick into the slot in the metal and stay even with the pressure of the water?

Reply to
John

Try fitting a 1/4 turn service valve to the offending side and turn it off slightly?

Reply to
James Salisbury

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John saying something like:

Put a restrictor in the flush pipe.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

radweld for car radiators stops hot water under pressure.

or chemical metal?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

I had thought of that, but it is plated pipe and I don't really want to disturb it. However, it does sound like a good option.

Reply to
John

In article , George (dicegeorge) writes

Chemical metal sounds good - car repair shop?

Reply to
John

Those two part leak sealing epoxy putties would do the trick - DIY sheds sell it in short strips of two colours where you tear off a bit and mix it until uniform in colour. Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket and sets hard.

Reply to
John Rumm

If it uses compression fittings, a 'penny washer' between the pipe and fitting will be inconspicuous.

You may have to construct a 15mm 'penny washer', and shorten the pipe slightly to give room in the fitting for it.

Reply to
<me9

Doesn't seem the right approach at all. If you do anything to the nozzle (for want of a better word) you will disrupt the pattern of flow over the porcelain. So you could end up not washing down some areas but still having an excess flow over others. And if you make that adjustment with something like epoxy putty it could be very difficult to remove/adjust in future (if it doesn't quite work).

I agree that you need to do something about the absolute flow from the cistern.

Reply to
Rod