Trianco 25/45 goes out

I got back from holiday and found my central heating had gone off in the middle of the snow :(

I have a Trianco 25/45 gas boiler. Holding the ignitor in for about five minutes gets the pilot light on. Turning the control on fires the boiler and the pump runs. After about two minutes the boiler shuts down. I thought it might be the overheat cut-out, but I can re-ignite it without resetting the cut-out.

While the boiler was running for the couple of minutes it ran the flow pipe didn't seem to be getting warm, so I diagnosed a dead pump. Being 4:30pm on Easter Saturday, and with snow building up, I rushed out to get a replacement pump. Taking the old pump out showed it to be full of crud, so that could have been the/a problem. However, with the new pump in place it hasn't fixed the problem. If I can manage to get the pilot lit the boiler runs for maybe a minute before turning itself off.

I had planned to have the boiler replaced this summer anyway, so if it's a dead duck that just brings it forward. Any suggestions meantime?

Thanks.

Reply to
jgharston

jgharston wrote in

Diverter valve? The valve that sends water to either hot tank or central heating. If it fails, you get symptoms much as described.

Many valves have an easily replaceable motor - cheaper than replacing the whole thing though the crud that filled the pump may also have done for the valve itself.

Reply to
PeterMcC

It's an on/off valve as

if the valve if stuck the heating water would still flow through the hot water tank heating coil, just as though I'd selected 'HW only'. The HWC is about six months old, so I'd be surprised if that had failed.

With the boiler off and the pump on, pressing an ear to the pipework suggests water is flowing.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

jgharston wrote in

There is a feedback cable from the valve to the boiler control - if the valve has failed, water may still flow through it but it may be sending to the control to shut down.

Reply to
PeterMcC