Untimely airconditioning thread

Do some tests and the a/c uses about 10% more fuel. You get nothing for nothing.

Reply to
IMM

[25 lines snipped]

Providing you're actually moving, rather than sat in traffic, the improved aerodynamics engendered by having the windows wound up pays for the increased fuel consumption caused by the aircon.

Besides, I can afford it, so I don't care. I wouldn't buy a [main] car without aircon, now.

Reply to
Huge

Just wait and see then try to outdo each other when stating how poor they were! Which one lived in the shoebox?

Reply to
IMM

Where is this building?

Reply to
IMM

On aircon cars that I'd hired in the past it was always very noticable that the engine note on idle changed when the aircon was switched on suggesting that there was a noticeable load being switched in.

Early in the year I tried a Seat something or other that had a dash computer that gave Km per Litre (it wasn't a UK car) averaged over some time this dropped from around 9 to around 7. something when the aircon was switched on. Sorry to be vague but I was only playing with it out of idle curiosity. mikej

Reply to
mike.james

The results I report earlier were with the windows up in both cases.

And I agree with the sentiment even though I'm sure it does cost more per mile to drive with the aircon on. mikej

Reply to
mike.james

I wouldn't buy any car without aircon. Nor would I live for long in a house without it.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Have you seen a doctor? I'm serious. Anyone in this country that can't live in a house without a/c is either:

1) An Eskimo 2) Has health problems of some sort.

The NHS is free, so no excuse.

Reply to
IMM

My wife's Ford Escort does that. My last Fiat Ulysse, and my current Toyota Previa don't. This might be something to do with the way the A/c switches on/off (on all time ?) dunno.

Current Previa (Diesel) has fuel consumption display, no change detectable at around 6.7.

DG

Reply to
derek

Only kidding Grunff. I can't function below 20C. The other half goes limp above 23C. Balancing the heating system is getting to be a bit of an art form :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree, if you are talking about UK productivity. We bustle around a lot.

In hot countrues, peiple learn to adopt a plodding style, which is just as productive. They walk slowly, arms away from their sides and legs slightly apart, to let air circulate. Its a different way of life.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My God! That's exactly what we're like. The eternal battle for control of the bedroom TRV...

The odd thing is, I really think I like my room temperature higher in the winter than I do in the summer. The living room is at about 22C, and that's just right for me at the moment. I suspect that come summertime, the aircon will go on as soon as the temperature creeps above 21C!

Maybe it's just a humidity thing.

Reply to
Grunff

Someone once pointed out that the loss of aerodynamic efficiency ona car with opened windows equalled the losses due to having aircon on.

I do remember switching off the aircon in my old Nissan 200sx, to get

another 15bhp during overtaking...

Ther is alos another effect, when driving in aircon, its so nice that teh urge to rush doesn't come into it as much. One just potters along at a steady 100 instead of 130 and saves even more fuel. On the autobahns of course....:-)

Cars in hot climates do need aircon tho - internal temps can reach well over 50C in even modest sun.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Les than that at about 35-40%

If all gas boilers were replaced by heat pumps, electricity useage would rocket!!!! Electricity is a very dirty and ineffecient fuel overall. The UKs greenhouse gasses would rocket up.

< snip drivel >
Reply to
IMM

Chatham

Darren

Reply to
dmc

There is a perfectly simple explanation for that, and that is relative humidity. I am not a very fat person really, tho fatter than I was, and I can lose a LOT of heat by sweating - especially if its dry ...women are better padded mostly, and don't. In summer, teh interanl unheated RH is up well above 50%, my fl;oorboards swell, and I feel hot.

In winetr, the air is heated, RH comes down, my floor boards shrink again, and I feel cold.

I can handle dry deser air up to 50C, but tropical rainforest at 40C is subjectively worse.

Yes. IU run the car climate control at about 21C in summer with the sun pouring in, and 22-23C in winter...a good trick in the car is to use aircon and the heater to dry the air out in summer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Drivel. That is typical of what is installed in 3rd world countries burning coal. Modern sets, especially gas turbones followed by steam turbines driven of the exhaust are easily 50%, and some have reached much better than that in full production.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes there is. It's almost worthless.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If it's a private conversation please take it to email - or did you miss off the smiley ?

Reply to
Jerry.

In message , IMM writes

Yes, you put your head on the block and I'll do the chopping

Reply to
geoff