Unexplained "failed" email messages

On 03/12/2017 08:26, Broadback wrote:

The failed message will often have the original sender's IP address.
If it does, best check it to make sure its some Russian IP address rather than one connected to you.
In the past I've had literally thousands of bounced emails when someone unpleasant was trying to add credibility to their spam.
On 03/12/17 08:26, Broadback wrote:

Just to be clear and despite what others have said:
There is no reason to think you have been hacked or infected in any way. Normally it is simply a question of spammers falsifying the 'from' field in the emails they send out, by using any old email address they have among the thousands they have harvested. So they are only pretending their spam comes from you. There isn't much you can do about it. TW
On 03/12/17 11:58, TimW wrote:

That depends.
In my friend-with-BT-mail's case, his account had been compromised, and we finally discovered what had been done - the reply-to AND mail forwarding had been set to a spurious outlook.com address.
Not that BT was the slightest help in identifying which one

But do check to see that accounts have not been compromised byt looking at te IP addtess of the original sender
--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."
On 03/12/2017 08:26, Broadback wrote:

Your email address (and likely millions of others) is being used as the source address for a spam campaign. By using a selection of addresses it makes it harder to block based on simple metrics like sender address. Its also "good" (for the spammer) since if they are using compromised PCs to run the campaign, the bounces are not going back to the real senders which may alert them to a problem.
--
Cheers,

John.