Mobile text messages

I hate the damn things and rarely use them, but what are the practicals of using them please?...

I used to have a phone, which I could set to require a delivery receipt, or maybe confirmation of delivery. Not seen a phone with the feature since.

Out in the sticks at the moment, with a poor to none mobile signal, she is sending questions by text and text answers which don't match the questions.

If the phone gets 'text sent' rather than 'unable to send' - does that mean the text is on the network and will remain on the network until delivered? Getting delivered the next time the target phone appears on the network?

Do text messages time out if undelivered for a period of time?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Where are each of you? Both in the UK? I'm another with mobile phone phobia but have to use one from time to time. I've generally found that, provided both parties are in the UK and the messages actually got recorded as "sent" they will arrive eventually. On the other hand, my experience of messages sent across international boundaries has not been so encouraging.

Good luck.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It's still there but probably buried in a "user friendly menu system".

Yes, if you get sent it's on its way but see the answer to your last question.

Yep, though it can some times take a while before they are delivered. "a while" being anything from a few minutes to hours. Daughter used to be on Tesco Mobile and texts to Orange could take hours to get through even with phones in good siganl areas. Strangely she is now on O2 (who are the network used by Tesco Mobile) and there are no significant delays.

Yes, I think the default is seven days. There may be an option in the "user friendly menu system" to set this.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They are very useful for some things, particularly stuff that is better done in writing so you have a record of it like an address etc, or where you don't have to actually need any feedback from the other person and don't need to worry about when they are likely to answer etc. Not everyone checks their voicemail reliably.

They do have real downsides with dinosaurs tho, many of those don't know how to read a text message but can usually answer the phone.

but what are the practicals

It was never something that worked very reliable anyway.

Yeah, that is one situation where it can be quite useful.

she

That can be a real problem with some people, they find it hard to keep track of where they are up to with multiple texts.

No, that the network has it.

Usually but not if it doesn't appear on the network for long enough in which case it will be discarded. For long enough is days tho.

Yep.

Reply to
John Chance

John Chance submitted this idea :

Thanks ALL...

Yes both are in the UK. One belongs to a deaf person, a neighbour whom we asked to water the plants outside, whilst we were away for a couple of weeks. We texted a couple of times, obviously no good ringing, to ask if the house was OK and the replies were - well, er not replies to the question asked, nothing at all to do with what was asked.

Anyway just got back and all is fine, including the plants :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Glad to hear it.

Reminds me of some years ago, trying to have a text conversation with a friend spending time in Moscow. Texts would sometimes arrive in random order, with occasional ones not appearing until the following day.

It was much the same with snail mail - a set of letters written over a period of weeks all arrived here in the same post.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon