Undermount sinks flush-mounted in timber worktops - opinions?

I'll be starting on my kitchen soon, and currently I'm leaning towards undermounted sinks, used as flush mount by slightly recessing the timber.

I've read that undermounting in timber can lead to potential mould spots, but flush-mounting seems the best of both worlds - you get the wipe-over-surface-with-no-ridge-at-the-sink, and should eliminate the mould trap.

Opinions?

Reply to
dom

so undermount but flush? what's the sink held up by normally and how in your plan?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

undermounted sinks, used as flush mount by slightly recessing the timber.

s, but flush-mounting seems the best of both worlds - you get the wipe-over

-surface-with-no-ridge-at-the-sink, and should eliminate the mould trap.

Usually an undermount sink is attached to the underside of the worksurface, with screws through the rim of the sink into the underside of the worksurf ace, and sealant between the rim and worksurface.

Alternatively (some/all?) undermounted sinks can be slightly inset into the top surface (by the thickness of the rim), supported by the rim (with a ve ry thin but wide bedding layer of sealant between).

I haven't handled one of these types of sinks before, but I would expect th e ones that allow flush mounting may also provide retaining clips for use a s flush mount. If not, the same could be done with hose-clamp band, to prov ide an anchor point for underside hold-downs.

What I'm unsure about is what proportion of undermount sinks are suitable f or flush-mount, and if there are drawbacks I'm unaware of.

Reply to
dom

The problem with undermount sink is that "end grain" in the timber is exposed to water and it soon deteriorates. Also the joint is harder to keep clean and holds water. It is a retro thing coing back to early 20th century.

Just a passing impractical craze. A few years ago it was the dogs bollocks, usually with a Belfast sink below a lump of beachwood. Unhygenic and rapidly looks like shit as the timber discolours and rots.

Back then it cost a fortune and was for the wealthy, now the price has fallen and us herbs can have one. The wealthy abandoned the idea in favour of granite worktops. Dunno what the next craze will be. The craze in America is foe terrazzo worktops with a cast in sink. Maybe that will come here.

Reply to
harryagain