Unbalanced tree

Hi,

My neighbour has a tree which is close to the boundary of our properties. A lot of the branches overhang my garden and I asked if I could have the tree trimmed and shaped. (professionally done). He said I could do what I wanted. After getting estimates I have decided against this and instead just want to chop off the limbs that overhang my garden. I will borrow a electric chainsaw for this.

My worry is that by removing these limbs the tree will be heavier on his side and may uproot and topple over in high winds.

Is this likely to happen?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Smith

It's not very likely, really, but you are allowed to prune off any roots which are encroaching on your property and this would make it more likely to blow over away from you.

Reply to
Neil Jones

Not really. Wind loads are in any direction the wind chooses to blow and many times what the weight of the tree will exert.

Your question makes in sense. Weight is what you have altered, and reduced the wind load. How do you think lowering wind load and reducing weight will make it more likely to topple in a wind?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...But, the tree will be heavier one side, and potentially less aerodynamic (having a flat side, rather than a rounded side.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks