Tyres.

Oh yes, you can put unlimited torque on with long enough levers - but you risk snapping the bolt, stripping the thread, rounding the head or bending the breaker bar. Far better with a shorter lever and hitting it to shock things loose. Effectively that's what a rattle gun is doing. You can buy more powerful rattle guns to cope with stiffer nuts/bolts, but it's generally not worth it for one-off home use.

Reply to
SteveW

Dave Plowman (News) pretended :

Did you check if he felt OK after using it, not sick?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I did look at those, but any with a reasonable torque are rather expensive. A compressor opens up access to more powerful rattle guns at low prices - plus air chisels, air drills (I just got an angle one for £17, where the body behind the chuck is only a couple of inches long and is smaller diameter than the chuck, specifically to drill out a bolt in a very tight space, without having to remove the sump and pick-up pipe from the car for access), blowers for clearing away swarf and for clearing muck out of computers, air nibblers and possibly even air jacks.

Reply to
SteveW

Careless torque, costs lives

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't that basically what any impact wrench does, except the hammer only gets

1/2, 1 or 2 revs to get up to speed depending on how many dogs on the anvil?
18V cordless impact wrenches regularly reach high hundreds, or exceptionally over 1000 ft.lb nowadays.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Usually tire in North America, tyre in the old British Empire.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Only if you’re an ignorant Scotsman trying to bring shame down on the Scots nation.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So the guy holding it is getting half ton impacts on his wrists?

I think not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about 1748 ft.lb from a 36V

Andy Burns

Nope.

You did manage to get that bit right.

Reply to
zaq

They are rapidly repeated, brief impacts, delivered from the energy stored in a rotating mass and topped up by the motor - just as when hitting a nail with a hammer, the energy for the blow is stored in the momentum of the hammer head, not delivered instantaneously by the user's arm. The wrench delivers high force impacts, with some, but only a little effect on the user holding it.

Reply to
SteveW

That's why I paid a great deal extra. To have then take in the car, remove all the wheels and tyres, powder coat the wheels, and put everything back together. Took them 10 days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not really. A rattle gun on undo starts rattling immediately and carries on until undone. This device ran up to speed, did a single whack, then repeated until loose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes, I've got one too. Slow as anything but actually pretty effective. Used it extensively dismantling a car and found it invaluable for loosening stubborn (to put it mildly!) corroded fixings, particularly where access was to restrictive for a breaker bar. One of those cheap tools that wouldn't last five minutes if used continuously but ever so handy to have around.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Indeed. The output is momentarily decoupled from the input so all the stored energy goes where it's needed. Conceptually it's a form of gearbox insofar that it trades distance (the spinning input getting a rotating mass up to speed) for torque (transferred from the rotating mass to the output in a short sharp shock whilst disconnected from the input).

Reply to
Mathew Newton

They were also, at the time, remarkably cheap. I'd guess the bulk (about the size of a large mains drill) made them not as attractive as hoped. So eventually sold off at a discount.

I was so impressed with it (not having a compressed air supply) I bought another for my brother. And he too found it invaluable for the odd thing. So not exactly a main stream tool.

It undid the crank pulley bolt on my RV8. Being an auto, difficult to lock the engine. The other way is to whack a spanner with a large hammer. But all too easy to hit the wrong thing. So worth it for that one job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News