Two-way and intermediate switches

Andy Champ wibbled on Friday 02 July 2010 20:30

I agree with this. It would be much more logical in an everyman sense to refer to wire. It doesn't have to be power, the telephone signal is line. Live

Ditto.

Line is a silly term. Phase was well understood by engineers. It's not an EU thing because no one else speaks English (unless you include Eire).

Using "Live" for Live on one hand, then Live and Neutral in nearly the same breath is pillockism at its finest. If they wanted to, they could have called L/N "Line" which would have been a more reasonable use of the term, and left Live and Neutral where 95% of the population understood.

Bah.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You seem to be assuming the term was designated for the benefit of the user. It wasn't.

Most folks would probably be happy with "mains voltage" without further qualification as hi, low, or anything else.

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

And so it shouldn't be put into a diy wiki, ffs.

Exactly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The term is widely used in BS7671 and the OSG, so if you plan to DIY electrics in some accordance with these docs, then it is just something you need to understand and accept.

The wiki references the OSG and BS7671 fairly often, so I can't see a problem including the term. It would however be worth adding an article that explains the terminology for new readers IMHO.

Reply to
John Rumm