'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house

Not a person was stirring, not even a mouse. Including the bloody fan on the cooker hood. Lights work, control buttons for the fan (1,2,3) cause the indicator light to come on, but no fan.

Searching so far suggests that fan motors don't usually fail so it is probably the control board.

Christmas Eve (hic) is probably not the best time to start stripping down electrical appliances so this will probably have to wait until the new year.

I do have a ceiling extractor so all is not lost, but isn't it just sod's law that the darn thing fails just when everyone is downing tools and component supplies for a week?

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Bah, humbug.

Dave R

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

Serves you right for becoming a slave to modern technology.

I've just been ordered to stop talking and close the kitchen windows for her.

Reply to
Bill

Never seen a control board on one of these. Usually a standard cheapest possible induction motor. Failure mode is either the coil or (perhaps more likely here) the bearings. Does the fan spin if you poke it? If not, WD40 is your friend.

Reply to
newshound

No it's not. ATF is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why does everything these days need a control board. In the past such mundane items simply cam on and off with a thermostat. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well at least it's not cold this year.

Reply to
ARW

The fan is inside this shiny stainless steel tower above the hob, so strictures on "do not disassemble" apply over the festive period.

From memory of looking up from below when changing/cleaning filters I'm not sure the fan blades are pokeable.

Not like your Expelaire through the wall fan in a plastic frame where you can poke it quite easily.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

From Larry the Cat (@Number10Cat on Twitter):

?Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse... Because I?d eaten it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mine has a control board - well a printed circuit board. The symptoms described by the OP are exactly the same as I suffered. Problem is the current for 2 and 3 passes through the connection for 1 so if that goes then the fan doesn't get any supply. First time it went I managed to re-solder it but eventually bought a new card. Only brown buttons were available but my original ss just transferred across.

Reply to
bert

Snap - mine failed too. Day before Xmas Eve. Horrid screech then stopped - hoping some oil might sort it.

It's one of those that vents through the wall, and is tiled all around it. So a replacement just bound to be a different size and or have the vent in a different place. So I'm hoping it can be fixed - even if that costs more than a new one. Had already upgraded the lighting from the original which was pathetic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And it did. Fan and motor very easy to remove with the unit still in place. Oiled the bearing on fan end (one at other end of the motor looked sealed) and it's running again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just getting around to trying to fix it.

Which make was yours?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to