TV Slow to give a picture

It seems to work perfectly when turned off. Alternatively throw the old one away to free up the space and everything should be fine. ;)

Rem

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

I don't think that sweeping statement is at all accurate. The failure of one part does not condemn the rest.

Of course there are economic repair considerations as time goes by but

10 years doesn't sound very long, I've seen equipment lasting twice that for the expense of a few pounds d-i-y on replacing the 'usual suspects'.

As a confirmed d-i-y 'er the modern idea of just dumping items at the first sign of trouble goes against the grain. Sounds more like 'can't be bothered' to me.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

As far as I'm concerned TV components in the LOPT stage and various other stages that take a lot of punishment after ten years is not worth pissing about with if it means repairing it maybe a month or two further down the line.

Like I said somewhere else in the thread, if the OP is conversant with the innards of a TV then fine attempt to repair it,otherwise it don't justify the repair bill. I was fed up in the past with a few people bringing their sets back to me saying.."its gone again", only to find out it was a different fault to the last repair, meaning they got a free repair because they did not understand and they thought it was the same problem. So I jibbed the TV repairs as pocket money.

Reply to
ben

Depends on the equipment. Last year I overhauled a QUAD 303 power amp with new capacitors etc. Cost around 20 quid. It was built in 1971 and I reckon its good for another 20 odd years!.

Still sounds fine, and measures well even compared to most modern stuff.

Unfortunately most consumer gear wasn't built like they were.....

Reply to
tony sayer

And a lot of people 'must have' the latest thing, dumping a 33 and 303 in the process (a mate found a pair of such, in boxes, as new, in the local tip and bought them off the guy for a fiver ..)!

Our little 18" Sony TV maybe 20 years old, doesn't have Nicam nor even a SCART connector but it's cost us nothing to keep running, still works ok and looks fairly 'modern'. Anyway, I don't think I could cope with Contamination St, Deadenders etc on anything bigger and in stereo! ;-(

We now own loads of very functional things because folk were about to throw them away and I saved them from the brink and repaired them. The last couple were a Dyson DC01 that just needed a decent service and now my Mum has it (it looked like new when I finished with it) and a decent sized shredder that was just bunged up between the cutters and needed a good clean out?

I think if it's basically 'mechanical' it's worth a try or even possibly 'older' electronics .. after that I'm not sure I would bother too hard .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

OK - so I'll give it a go. I'm no electronics expert, but not such an idiot either. can anyone give me a detailed idea of what needs to be done where?

Buy a new set. The tube has probably worn out.

Reply to
<me9

I'm not being funny here, but realistic. Electronics is pretty complex stuff, with several hundreds of parts minimum, and fault finding is not a step that can be skipped. If you try this and that cos someone said so, youre wasting your time in 99% of cases.

NT

Reply to
bigcat