Turntable drive belt ..

Hi Tim Thought I'd replied earlier, but it doesn't seem to have got through...

A couple of things used for motor-platter linkage on 'high end d-i-y' turntables are:

- fishing line, tied with a reef knot

- dental floss, tied similarly I guess

Seems bizzare, I know, but these are supposed to sound _better_ than a belt. I'd imagine how well this works depends on the diameter and shape of your motor pulley amongst other things. Might be worth a try...

Reply to
jkn

But with me, it IS the recorded media that I have collected. I do have (naturally as time marches on and things get remastered) a lot of CD recordings that trounce over 'groove-crammed' tracks I still have on vinyl. Play those CD's on a £50 player & the vinyl on that OTT £5000 (it's gone up now - your last post £1000! ah... Gold plating) and I might agree (but the post-digital stuff in that £50 player will be suspect still...)

I have though got a few LP's where it's the other way round - and even though mechanical wow & flutter, clicks and scratches *might* diminish the experience, It's still an experience which still keeps my deck spinning and makes me yern to spend more money on this mechanical marvel before audio shops of the world stops selling them.

Must get along to Wickes for some more concrete...

:-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Thanks for trying again Jon ;-)

I think the elasticity of a belt is supposed to reduce the flutter but equally if the linkage between motor and platter were more rigid(dental floss) the platter's mass should (could?) moderate the motor to some degree?

I'd imagine how well this works depends on the diameter and shape

As you say .. I sorta have tried, in the form of a fairly thin elastic band and as John confirms later the drive motor output in this case is shaped like a barrel to ensure the belt self centres. I think I have seen your solution in action where the drive pully is 'V' shaped though and then the thin round / square line might work ok .. ;-)

All the best and thanks for the second post ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In article ,

A CD player cannot cope with vinyl. Anyway, a digitally encoded signal can by definitition, never be as good as a pure analogue signal. No matter what the sampling rate, you can never reproduce the original accurately.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

bit of a killer than one

matter what

You can never reproduce the original accurately via either method.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

sounds like great parenting, too many think cotton wool and naivety is good for kids. Angle grinding at 8 though? Sounds scary.

The very early ones were recorded on one side only, and had etchings of angels etc on the other side.

Yes, though technically the first sounds from my first crystal set were total silence. And the 2nd 3rd and 4th sets.

I even have instructions somewhere from the 30s on how to make an answerphone using a pair of 78 decks. It used ali discs.

There is partial precompensation, though its not perfect, but I dont know how one would compensate at the playing end. Linear tracking maybe.

funny isnt it. Kids now dont even know what a record is half the time.

apply breakfast directly to record...

thats great. Maybe they offer something other than chess? :)

Heh. I liked the old hitchhikers film, but was always disappointed by the 2 headed Zaphod. I somehow hoped they'd figure out how to make his

2 heads a bit more convincing, but sadly no such surgery was ever forthcoming.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Is there a difference?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope. Modern chipsets are stunningly good, and the rest is very simple to do accurately.

The only places where its hard to make good electronics are low noise low sensitivity stuff - magnetic pickups - and power amps.

The first generation D to A converters were pretty crap s far as crossover distortion went, but the 1 bit oversampling stuff is just seriously good. You no longer NEED an acurate filter either on teh back end to kill teh smapling frequencies. A cheapo will do.

Your choice.

I spent many years of my life designing and testing audio kit. Now I hardly even listen to it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shows how little you understand.

It can outperform it easily if the noise to signal ratio of the analogue exceeds the quantization errors of the digital by an order of magnitude...

...after all analogue is only digital, where the bits are individual electrons...or perhaps you hadn't appreciated that?

Look up noise, shot noise, and thermal noise and see what I mean.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You still need a decent analogue reconstituting filter on the output of the D to A stage to reduce the quantisation noise though. You also need a clock design with good stability. So there are areas where a bit of care an attention to detail will yield better results that just expecting a "chipset" ro do it all for you.

Reply to
John Rumm

You make incorrect assumptions.

Why dont you tell us what analogue recording method you have in mind when you say theres something of comparable quality to digital.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I think so. A 'toy' plane might be a static model or crude hand lauch free-flight kids glider etc. Or maybe a die cast thing or plastic clip-together kit?

An RC IC or even electric model are often a fairly complex mix of materials, and technologies.

I would also suggest that afirst full function self build kit would challenge the skills / patence of yer average DIY'r as we normally understand the description?

Oh, and the other difference between toy and RC Model is the cost!

My other observation is the current trend toward RTF (ready to fly) models .. taking (for some) the whole 'point' of RC modelling out of the loop?

I mostly 'enjoy' the building (mainly competition cars and boats) but it's the using that is the draw for me .. be it the odd dash about a car park / pond / lake or a scheduled race meeting.

My daughter and I currently race the RC Laser (sailing dinghy).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Around here 'parenting' is what you get into from un-protected sex. The 'benifits' of parenting is the child allowance, the duties .. well none (else the parents of the kid that was standing on the roof of my kit car the other day would have stopped them wouldn't they ..?)

Angle grinding at 8 though? Sounds scary.

Well it was a bit (for me anyway). However, she had on ear defenders, clear face mask, leather apron, leather gloves, fully covered arms / legs and in a well lit area. The 'job' she was working on offered no surprises that were likely to catch the tool / wheel and apart frrom when I took the picture of her in a shower of sparks, was standing over her. ;-)

Aww .. bless .. but at least you tried and tried again? I have always been fairly lucky when it comes to electronics / PC's .. or maybe it's more of an infinite patience? It was a VERY rare time when I gave up on anything. When I was 15 I bought a Fiat 850 with a seized engine. I stripped and rebuilt it but after re-assembly it wouldn't fire up? ;-( At 3am I woke up and realised the distributor could be fitted one of two ways ..

And wern't they very inventive in those days .. now it's all done with a PIC ?

I remember seeing loads of fine monofilament running over tinlt pulleys and little chrome weights n stuff .. ;-)

Or many fresh vegetables it seems?

Well, they offer a fairly large range of subjects but she's not really interested in any of them. She's not particularly acedemic but luckily seems to have a reasonable amount of common sense. I'm just about to drop per off to her recorder group (she's grade5) then she's going skating with a bunch of mates.

But the 'dummy' head on Zaphod was sorta part of the cornyness of the thing wasn't it?

I somehow hoped they'd figure out how to make his

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sounds very familiar.

Had to be. The 405 line tv tech in particular was very clever.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I never said that.

I said that digital was at least as good as and probably better than, analogue.

I never mentioned any implementation. Just the basic fact that all electronics ) and indeed the whole physical world)is ultimately 'digital' in nature..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh well. Its RC models etc etc.

Dunno really. Depends on what you pick and who you are.

Id you can refer to a new Ferarri as a 'toy' I don';t see why a couple of hudred quid of model can't be a toy as well.

I actually like building as much as - possibly more than - flying.

Nice. I would. if the pond were bigger, too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would have thought anything you cant climb into and fly is a toy. Unless of course youre using it for surveillance, or rapid carrier-pigeon style delivery of important documents. Or chopping the heads off your enemies etc. Or applying selective weedkiller and fertiliser to a roof garden... any more?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Probably ;-)

*My* definition of 'Toy' is something played with by children and would generally be ready made. You go to Toys R Us, buy it, play with it etc. That's not to say adults can't / don't play with 'toys' (and I'm not talking 'adult toys even here ) .. stuff like Scalextric seems to spread over a very wide age range ;-)

"Models* are often higher detail, and played with less casually, more for the enthusiast than toys .. stuff like Hornby 'Model' railway?

A shame (to me anyway) is that now folk have more spending power and kids seem to have less respect for stuff so you see quite nice / high quality / expensive toys / moidels being abused / smashed up .. stuff that a few years ago would have only been used under supervision .. and that brings in another issue ..

All the best ...

T i m (Model maker & big kid) ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Yes, and I think this extensive problem is just as bad with adults.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

accurately.