turn off pilot light on water heater when draining system?

got to repair some leaky taps

do I need to turn off the pilot?

--

Gill Smith

boiler but in fact the boiler shouldn't fire up anyway if there's no water so this is just belt and braces. No need to turn off pilot light

Reply to
joeys worldcup

No information - what model, etc.

You need to make sure it can't fire up. You can't do that with my current one without turning off the pilot, although it's predecessor could, as it had a pilot-only position on the gas control knob, where the main burners were disabled.

The instructions should be clear on this point. I would imagine they're likely to say switch off the gas supply to it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

now the hard part: putting new washers onto ancient scaled-up bath taps

off to buy some lemon juice.......

--

Gill Smith

it's a Chaffoteaux_Maury

don't have booklet, unfortunately....

--

Gill Smith

Dave

Reply to
dave

better still, time to get a plumber methinks!

--

Gill Smith

A britony ?

Wedge shaped pcb - 79333/74484

The thermocouple connects directly to the pcb IIRC

I think you should be OK just turning off the electrics, however, if you turn off the gas you have no chance of running it dry - which would not be a good idea

Reply to
geoff

spray in water in an old cleaning spray bottle. A 500g bag lasts ages and the spray cleans the bath, sink and taps just dandy, and the crystals will clean the loo too.

Spamlet

What you mean people actually found a use for one?

Spamlet

--

But if he turns off the pilot he might have trouble turning it back on again. Just turn the thermostat right down. And or the timer off.

Spamlet

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Spamlet" saying something like:

For re-seating taps, perhaps. Dunno about you, but I find them rather handy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon