tub calking

I need to recaulk around my bath tub. In some of the areas the gap is quite large (1/2-5/8" gap) and this makes it difficult. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Also are there any tricks in general to make the project go nice and smooth with good results?

Reply to
mulletteeth

It is difficult to give specific advice without knowing why the existing sealant needs replacing and whether this is a rigid steel bath or an acrylic bath that flexes along the top edge due to the weight of water and the person in the bath. If replacement is necessary because this is an acrylic bath that flexes in use then IMHO you are wasting your time with fresh sealant as it will just crack and split open sooner or later, especially with such a large gap between the bath edge and the wall. You might get better results with a Teleseal which will just about cover the gap as it projects 18mm (0.7 inches) from the wall, and will cope with any movement of the bath edge. I don't know whether it is possible to fill a gap that large with sealant all in one go or whether you will need to build up several layers. A caulking tool will help to get a smooth finish, see

DIY

Yup, see here:

John Rumm