TRV in the bathroom, or not?

I will be installing a towel radiator in the bathroom soon, off the "towel rail" circuit of the central heating (So the rad works with the hot water, I assume)

Do I install a TRV or not - I am thinking not, so the towels are heated in the summer as well as the winter.

What do you lot think?

Ta :-)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

It's warm enough in winter not to have a heated towel rail!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There's really four choices:

- Run it from the CH circuit. This would mean warm towel rail when the CH Is on in the winter, not in the summer

- Run it from the primary feeding the HW cylinder. This will warm it all the year round, *but* only when the HW is being reheated. This probably means that it will be cold until you begin running the bath or the shower. Could mean cold bathroom in winter.

- Create a separate circuit for the towel rail using a thermostat and a motorised valve.

- Fit an electric element in the towel rail and proceed as in the first choice.

A TRV would be a good way to control temperature for the first two and last choices.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would simply connect it across the boiler output, so it's on whenever HW or CH are on. A local manual valve can be used to turn it off when not required. Given that it's not for heating the room (they aren't much good at that anyway), controlling it with a [room] thermostat would not seem to be applicable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 30 Sep 2006 19:31:13 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

Agreed.

An electric element is a useful addition, if the boiler is off for one reason or another. Take care not to circulate electrically heated water by gravity.

Reply to
David Hansen

You can get a stat that works off the temp of the water rather than the room so that the towel rail is at a constant temp.

Reply to
PM