Trolley Buses - any enthusiast?

Smartarse. You add extra bridges.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's what he just said, shit-fer-brains.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In Brighton, there were a couple of hills that diesel buses struggled with. The trolley buses sailed up them.

(three different bus companies, one of which was all trollies, one was almost all diesel, and one was all diesel. Overlapping routes)

Reply to
Bob Eager

actually I think TimS said each bus wanting to get past would lower its poles, but harry said the broken down bus would lower its poles so all others could get past.

Reply to
Andy Burns

This was my understanding too.

Reply to
Scott

You are right, and is probably what would happen. But, in any case, there would be the flexibility to drive on the battery past any sort of blockage or even a take a short detour if there were roadworks. Just reconnect later.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes., but oddly none of them running away uphill.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Steer one side or other, until the poles come off.

Runaways would be more common if they used long extension cords.

There would likely be a requirement for the parking brake to hold them on a hill.

I don't remember a lot of them getting towed.

Whereas for diesel buses here, the "need-a-tow rate" and "fuel leak" rates are pretty high. When a bus has a fuel leak, it leaves diesel for miles... Most impressive.

We've actually had engine fires on diesel buses here. I guess, if the leak is in the wrong spot...

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I suppose Andrew means trolley bar.

Reply to
Max Demian

Hardly cheap, as they will have to add long ramps or cuttings so the road can go over or under the rail. And, if in a town (which is often the case), demolish the row of shops or houses that lines the road.

Reply to
Max Demian

The Swiss managed it. I remember a level crossing on the way to CERN from home, when I worked there. Replaced by a bridge. Mind you, all such costings tend to be state secrets and no one questions it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Round here they were always referred to as booms, but it could one of these things that depends on which region you are from.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

There are other options, f****it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or tunnels

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And HS2 is cheaper?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No he didn't. What's the point of reconnecting a broken down bus?

Reply to
harry

I was once told that a long while ago, a team were towing a trolleybus to Crich, and stopped at a services, parking out of the way at the far end of the lorry area. One guy stayed in the cab to keep guard, whilst the others took the towing vehicle nearer the services.

Along came a police car, the occupants came over for a chat. After a while the tram driver remarked "I suppose you are going to ask me to move along?"

"Yes", they replied.

He selected "Battery Manoeuvring", and pulled forward a couple of metres, much to the astonishment of the officers.

However, Battery Manoeuvring was an option that was not available on all trolleybuses. I believe that some outfits had sets of what were effectively giant jump leads to cope with such disruption.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think it depended on exactly where and how the "blocking" trolleybus broke down. If it was out in the road, more-or-less under the wires or even to the right of them, then it is possible other trolleys couldn't pass and keep their poles on the wires. I can certainly remember being on a trolleybus which came up behind a broken-down vehicle and the poles had to be disconnected to allow the trolleybus to move on battery power past the obstruction.

Anyone know if the poles were slightly telescopic or how they were connected to the turntable on the bus roof? The poles were always parallel, and to keep to that they had to be able to move separately from each other.

One other thing. In London there were so many routes that occasionally at junctions some went straight on while others turned left or right. I seem to remember the bus conductors had to get off just before the junction and pull a handle on a pole which switched the wires over to the wanted route (like railway points). I think they returned automatically to straight ahead after the bus passed. I assume there any modern trolley systems which do this automatically if routes diverge from a common line. Are there any which do this?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

No, you put the road (or rail) on a viaduct.

Reply to
harry

harry