Trickle Vents

I'm just about to have some (wooden) double glazing installed and the installer has advised me that trickle/night vents aren't really necessary and that the windows can be left slightly and securely open to have the same effect. He also says that they are very ugly.

They have advised that I can have them if I want, but I don't really need to bother.

Are they essential, or can I manage without them?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Please turn of the MIME and post in plain text.

They are not required if the window can be locked in a trickle ventilation mode. My window installer said most private properties don't have them installed, but councils usually require them in council properties. He also always advised fitting them in rented out properties, where the non-owner residents often think nothing of leaving wet washing out to dry with all the windows shut, and then complain to the landlord of condensation/mold.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

| I'm just about to have some (wooden) double glazing installed and the installer has advised me that trickle/night vents aren't really necessary and that the windows can be left slightly and securely open to have the same effect. He also says that they are very ugly. | | They have advised that I can have them if I want, but I don't really need to bother. | | Are they essential, or can I manage without them?

Some ventilation is necessary especially in kitchens and Bathrooms. Also all over the house in hot weather.

My double glazed units have two locked positions, one no ventilation and another *locked* about 1/2 ins open. In winter I put a bit of 1/2 ins square wood on the open side of the window to reduce the ventilation the about 2 sq ins per window.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop