Transporting fragile china

An elderly friend who is downsizing his home wants to send some china ware to a relation. He lives in Derby - he wants the china to go to Maidstone in Kent. Any ideas on where to start looking for a service that would provide packing materials and then transport the items?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Try Pickfords.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

bubble wrap newspaper styrene worms and DIY.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How much china, will it all go in a couple of medium boxes or are looking at collection that fills the house?

If it's only a couple of boxes packing, boxing and driving it yourself is probably the most cost effective. Just need to wrap each piece in a sheet of paper and pack closely into the boxes.

Other than that I'd see what small local removals firms can do. They will be happier doing the packing themselves and will have insurance. Donno if it means much but being a member of BAR shows some sort of professional set up.

If you aren't in a hurry they might be willing to pack then store (or let you store) until they have run in that general direction, this might reduce the cost.

I'd say almost any removal firm other than Pickfords...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:k9thn1$831$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Thanks guys - I have found some "Man with a Van" operations and have sent off for some quotes.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Reply to
newshound

I'm forever "popping" airbags from Screwfix or CPC and binning vast amounts of bubble wrap, etc. Not so many styrene worms these days.

I've always thought there should be some sort of exchange mechanism so that I can give it away to a deserving home.

Reply to
newshound

In article , DerbyBorn writes

I think box within box can work quite well, inner box with china loosely wrapped in scrunched paper but tightly packed to avoid shifting of items (a problem when packing small but heavy items in quavers). Outer box around the inner, phaps 2" gap on all sides and again with scrunched paper, bubble wrap or quavers. The outer will isolate against impact and inevitable (IMV) mishandling. Don't make it too heavy.

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

ps: pack assuming that any box marked 'this way up' will arrive inverted ;-)

Reply to
fred

The modern ones are actually made of starch and are biodegradable they can be composted. They are actually edible but I would not recommend it as a means of disposal! As a packing material they are useless except for filling the spaces between boxes.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

They taste disgusting.

Reply to