Transformer help

Transformer for an mobility scooter, FIL was so bad he couldnt even use it, so it lay dormant for a while and batteries went flat (according to mobility shop) so trying to get it going so I can sell cheap to a needy person. Before I could make a start I discover the charger not working and then what appears to be a fuse missing, I reckon this is on the output for 24v batteries. So at this point Idont know if the batteries are good or bad and could be charged., one reads 3+ volts the other 10+ volts. I will buy batteries if need be and price accordingly for selling. Question: Can I bypass the fuse temporarily to check both charger and batteries. From the image I would bridge the green line. Acceptable?
https://imgur.com/a/eCEXe
On 14/01/2018 19:05, ss wrote:

Should have said charger NOT transformer.
On 14/01/2018 19:13, ss wrote:

I wouldn't by-pass the fuse. You don't know why it was removed. If the charger is faulty, the whole thing could go up in smoke.
That sort of fuse holder is fairly common. You may have one you can 'borrow' from a piece of hi-fi equipment, etc. If not, take the charger down to Maplins and see whether the cap from one of their fuseholders - such as https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/panel-mount-screw-in-20mm-fuseholder-gu73q - will fit.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 14/01/2018 19:05, ss wrote:

Clearly not a great idea, but you might get away with it. I am surprised you are proposing to bridge red to green, but the image is not clear.
I wonder who removed the fuse holder and why?
Good luck.
On 14/01/2018 19:16, GB wrote:

It would likely be my FIL he was 90 and a bloody nightmare, wrecked everything one way or another.
The green wire is just my indicator as to where I would bridge (bypass) the fuse, what I am trying to do is bypass the fuse to see if the charger is working and then try and source a fuse holder for it. Then proceed to the batteries.

Assuming the fuse is on the output(?) and the output rating of the charger mentioned somewhere, could you rig up (solder) a similar rated fuse on a pair of wires and tack the fuse in place across the fuseholder connections as your test?
I think at the voltages you mentioned the batteries will be shot and could blow the fuse in any case.
Cheers, T i m
On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 19:36:03 +0000, ss wrote:

<snip>
Are you sure that removing a fuse holder is the only "improvement" that he made?
If a piece of mains equipment has been modified for reasons unknown by someone who might be classed as "eccentric" then the whole thing could be unsafe.
Have you considered sourcing a replacement charger?
The batteries are much more straightforward; either they will charge or they won't.
I know this is a DIY forum but is there a local competent electrician? Probably auto electrician? Or a mobility scooter shop which services them?
It looks as though the charger needs a full diagnostic safety check (whatever that would be), with a view to repair/replace.
Cheers
Dave R

On 15/01/2018 08:48, David wrote:

Yes that will be the next option. Trying to keep costs down so I can sell cheap and give some needy person a bargain, They sell around £3-400 2nd hand, I would let it go for under £100 BUT new charger £25, new batteries approx £100 so would have to recover costs.
On Monday, 15 January 2018 10:24:52 UTC, ss wrote:

-400

new

If you want to send me an email with the make & model I may be able to find someone that wants it without you needing to spend on batteries or charger .
NT
On Monday, 15 January 2018 08:48:14 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

So instead of buying a new charger & batteries, you reckon the OP should spend about the same amount on having a professional tell him he needs a new charger & batteries. Fantastic advice.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com was thinking very hard :

He could charge the batteries off the scooter, on a normal car battery charger - they are usually 2x 12v batteries. The 3v one is likely past being saved, but there is maybe hope for the 10v one.
On 14/01/2018 19:05, ss wrote:

Borrow a 12v charger and charge each battery on its own.

At those voltages the chance of useful recovery are remote, and you definitely want a current limited charger (as most of the very cheap ones are) to start with. Or a charger that can be set to low current output.
--

Roger Hayter

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 19:05:17 +0000, ss wrote:

It might be, is it the only fuse? If so it's more likely to be the first thing after any mains switch before the circuit board. Where do the wires from it go?
Bypass as you show across the two tags on the holder. A bit of 5 A fuse wire wrapped around each tag and just one strand of wire wire linking the tags. If you don't have any fuse wire a single strand from a length of flex will do.

The +3 is probably dead, even if it takes a charge it won't work as well as the +10 one. As you intend to sell on it's probably best to get new batteries. Weigh the old ones in, last batteries I weighed in paid 62p/kg, Probably only a fiver for a couple of mobilty SLAs so not a great deal but if you happen to passing the scrappy...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 15/01/2018 01:06, Dave Liquorice wrote:

You don't know the Ah. In any case 12Ah ones would be a lot more than that, and they're the smallest ones for titchy scooters.
Bill
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 02:06:21 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

It's the weight that is important rather than Ah though there is a relationship between the two.
I based the "fiver" on about 5 kg/battery and 50p/kg for weighing in, pessimistic so as not to raise the OPs hopes of retiring on the proceeds too much. 12 Ah SLAs come in at about 4 kg, 17 Ah about 6 kg, 24 Ah ~ 8 kg. I got 62p/kg for lead acid batteries about this time last year.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 15/01/2018 17:43, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ah, you meant the scrap value!
Bill
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 17:53:13 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

er yes as in "passing the scrappy". B-)
Just seen that they are 30+ Ah so proably around 13 kg each so maybe £15 weighed in.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Maybe I ought to run the 8 x 6V 200Ah Crompton traction monoblocks that I've currently got sitting in my electric moke. ;-)
Cheers, T i m