Tracing Electrical Fault

My power went off tonight, quickly eliminated power cut and narrowed it down to the RCCD tripping on the garage circuit that has outside pond pumps on it which are usually favourite but with everything unplugged it still trips so it must be the cable itself or a dodgey connection in a socket. I assume this is going to be systematic checking of each socket in turn, right?

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Isolate the incoming live, neutral and earth of the garage supply cable at the point of entry to the garage. Depending upon your garage wiring setup this could be at a garage CU, a socket or some other connection.

If the RCD still trips then the supply cable is faulty. If not then start looking behind your garage sockets for damp connections and check any exposed wiring for rodent damage(1) etc. The list of possible faults is very wide.

Adam

(1) Rodents love to eat cable.

Reply to
ARWadsworth