Toyota accelerator recall

How long have you had a Prius.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes - that Dinky toy uses very little petrol

Why would different tests make any difference to the actual MPG in the real world?

It certainly needed to be. The original only managed 24 MPG overall in a real world test.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must eff off as you are a total Jocko plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Aren't you normally paralytic by this time? Would anyone know the difference?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd like to bet that in fewer than 8 years there won't be a suitable replacement battery because of physical size, voltage, charging arrangements or whatever. Just look at consumer 'brown goods' technology. So your 'pride and joy' eco-friendly car will have to be totally scrapped after just a few years... Just a bit less eco-friendly, innit.

I hate that American word "warrantee" anyway!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Looking at secondhand values shows what a poor buy the Prius is. They depreciate faster than if they had been pushed off a cliff. And they're remarkably poor VfM even then, since one is buying a car with a battery that can cost £1000s to replace. An Avensis diesel has similar mpg claims (and much better real-world mpg) and it's a larger, more practical vehicle than the laughable Priapus.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What a load of old c*ck.

BTW, "fewer", not "less". Then at least your statement would be gramatically correct although still being a load of old bollocks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You made that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This pervo needs tagging.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I would have thought that the one thing that is likely to be available is replacement batteries. A failed transmission might be a different matter.

But the point is well made with regard to all cars; when I was young they rusted away before they wore out, or if they wore out replacing engines and transmissions was relatively cheap. I've been told, and quite believe it, that the cost of replacing the CVT transmission on a Honda Jazz (I owned two, brilliant cars) is such that on a 7+ year old car it's economically a write off.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Hmm, I'd like to see a vid of that - I imagine it'd be up there with that one of the Smart car being piled into the concrete block at high speed...

Reply to
Jules

Did I say I had a Prius? If so, that was in error.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

What I'd like to know is how much its going to cost to upgrade all the mains power infrastructure and where is all this extra leccy coming from anyway?..

Reply to
tony sayer

1/. Quite a bit. Especially for windpower which is not generated where its consumed. Prces range from aboutr 1/10th of teh generation capacity capital cost for a nuke, to aboiut 1/3rd or ghgher for offshore windfarms. The 'african desert powers Europe' scenario places the transmission costs at or above the generation plant build.

And that doesn't even cover the overnight storage required.

2/. In the real world, nuclear and coal sets for the next 20 years. In LaLa land from any fashionable renewable resource you care to pay ten times as much for.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My renewable favourite is tidal power (*not* tidal barrage, let me make it clear). Take your windmill, turn it upside down, and stick it in the water. Tides happen twice everyday, everywhere, and, conveniently, at different times around the country, thus evening out the power generation.

My niece who is in the renewables business, does emphasise to me that no single renewable solution is going to be a magic bullet. Not wind, and not my tidal jobby.

It's gonna have to be nuclear (and should have been all along).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Dribble claims to own one. But that's an 'error' too. He's claimed to own just about every car ever made at various times. Claims to have a degree as well. He's good at claiming things. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hate it when you find one of those on the beach. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

What's the longevity of those like? Maintenance must be a right pain, and I can imagine salt water and critters cause problems rather quickly.

Reply to
Jules

Dunno, but it must be a similar technology to whatever they'd use in a tidal barrage. Salt water in both cases.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I thought the tidal ones were (taking a rather simplistic view) essentially big float -> pivoting axle -> gearbox -> generator?

In other words, the only bit in the water is the float, with all the serious gubbins above the water level. Not that there aren't issues with salt spray, I'm sure - but I'd expect it to last a lot longer than some kind of undersea windmill.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules